Maybe someone knows the answer or is having the same problem...I am able to play video from most websites, however CNN video do not play they just show a blank screen...help please.

The Following User Says Thank You to GID123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
CNN's site is god-awful, it utilizes tons of JavaScript for the simplest of things and one of those is the player (and it even crashed my desktop FF once, which didn't happen to me in a very long time). They actually think they are protecting their video content that way (loading core player, then getting the video links through JS) when in fact they are not, but that overhead is enough to kill a weak processor such as ARM Cortex-A8, and it will actually in most cases issue 'web page not responding...' prompt on the N900. In rare cases it will get to the player, but then again the content is encoded in higher resolution than N900 can handle without hardware acceleration, so...

But it's not the fault of Flash Player, it's a fault of CNN's crappy developers. I actually haven't seen that badly organized site for a long time, just went to check out what is the problem. I'd fire any developer that would develop the way cnn.com is developed if he was working in my company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Does anyone have an N900 with Flash that can successfully access the microphone and camera?

The settings just claim to not notice the devices. Very disappointing. Any preliminary ideas? The V4L stuff seems to be the same as my other systems (/dev/video0, etc) and so I don't yet see any reason why Flash shouldn't detect the devices. Perhaps that feature is intentionally disabled? I will be looking into this.

Last edited by jchammons; 2010-03-01 at 04:58.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jchammons View Post
Perhaps that feature is intentionally disabled?
Bingo.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
@sjgadsby: Thanks. I should have found that before. Very disappointing. As I've said elsewhere, I'd like to see Adobe made irrelevant.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
What video you cannot watch because you don't have 10.1 on your N900. Think carefully what you'll answer...
Hulu. And I blame their developers because there's absolutely nothing that warranted that move to FP 10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jchammons View Post
Does anyone have an N900 with Flash that can successfully access the microphone and camera?

The settings just claim to not notice the devices. Very disappointing. Any preliminary ideas? The V4L stuff seems to be the same as my other systems (/dev/video0, etc) and so I don't yet see any reason why Flash shouldn't detect the devices. Perhaps that feature is intentionally disabled? I will be looking into this.
I wrote this little thing for microphone test when I was on a hunt for the perfect N900 as I wanted to test if the microphone works on the spot (there were some reports that it was not working for some people) and with a concern that shop clerks won't let me install additional software or put my SIM card in the device - having a Flash player was the perfect way to check if it works.

And indeed, microphone in Flash does work - but partly, at least without connecting it to a FMS or equivalent on the back (haven't tested it, tho) - it will detect whether you allowed Flash to access the microphone and that it's not muted (green line), or not (red line), and it will list it in the Settings pane (Linux microphone). However, it appears that Flash gets no activity level from the microphone. Check the same link on your desktop to get the idea.

As for the camera being disabled for security reasons, I call BS on that one - you would still need to allow Flash to access the camera, on per-site basis at that, just like on the desktop, so I don't see how disabling the camera all together increases security.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I wrote to Nokia about the 10.1 update for the N900.
The message reads:

"Hej Tejs Tak for din interesse i Nokia Care kundesupport. Ja, Nokia N900 og andre smartphones kommer til at understøtte Flash version 10.1. N900 skulel gerne på nuværende tidspunkt understøtte version 10.1"

It's danish and directly translates to:

"Hi Tejs,

Thank you for your interest in Nokia Care Customersupport.
Yes, the Nokia N900 and other smartphones will be supporting Flash version 10.1.
N900 should already support version 10.1
."

I'm not really sure about the last part but I take it as a sign of Flash 10.1 coming to the N900

What does the "gerne" qualifier mean in danish there?

The phrase: "skulle gerne" can be translated to "should". So it leaves some uncertainty about the last part of flash 10.1 already running on the N900 and I'm pretty sure the supportguy is wrong on that point. He seems pretty confident in his statement about it comming to the N900 though.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update