Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
"For example I can’t tell you anything about possible partnership with Intel."

That statement scares me.... Does this actually mean they MAY consider using an Intel chipset OMG! please NO.

I want ARM not shitty x86
Really? I wouldn't turn down a Medfield-based phone beforehand. See http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/l...800-benchmark/ And I wonder if this thing is running in pure native x86, or with (some) emulated ARM libs, so it might just get better.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
"For example I can’t tell you anything about possible partnership with Intel."

That statement scares me.... Does this actually mean they MAY consider using an Intel chipset OMG! please NO.

I want ARM not shitty x86
But I'd love Intel's support behind MeeGo.

I was skeptical about X86 originally when MeeGo was Nokia, it made sense in the whole ecosystem sense to have it all on ARM.
Now as Jolla is at it's own it could get that special vibe from using X86.

it looks like Jolla's site would be www.jollamobile.org.
http://nokiagadgets.com/2012/07/15/l...-for-jolla-oy/

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Haven't I already seen this movie?

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
In terms of locked bootloader, I'm guessing one of two things
1) Full-price devices straight from Jolla will be unlocked ("dev"), subsidised from carriers won't be.
or
2) We've not got the right translation. From the official translation, it says:

Now that could either be "Consumers are not permitted to..." or "Consumers are on average not technically able enough to..." - can a native Finnish speaker look at the original?

I think that's a great idea, what if you just a phone that works? no mess no fuss buy it from any phone shop.
And a different version for those who like to play with everything that's inside

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Intel's support is the kiss of death. I've seen so much interesting stuff with Intel's backing. Nothing ever comes from it and lives. Most likely it'll warp into some new v.0.5 with a new partner.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
and i love how their replying to all twitter questions via N9

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Too early to fully understand what they mean. It can simply mean some device setting flippable on the same device (but not intended for non technical users). So no need to panic yet.
I'm guessing that the reason for it is because carriers are going to require it. Fact is, many want to have the freedom to modify phones to meet their requirements and lock out the average user from mucking with it. I didn't expect that to change with Jolla.

I expect that they will make unlocked phones available, just like most GSM phone makers do.

Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
I expect that they will make unlocked phones available, just like most GSM phone makers do.
I don't think there's any question about that. Who other than Apple doesn't have it's phones available unlocked globally?
Unlocked market is way too big in Europe and Asia to be left out, especially for company like Jolla that simply wont be getting wide operator support.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-07-16 at 18:39.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Original finnish:
– Jollan puhelin tulee olemaan massamarkkinoille suunnattu oikea älypuhelin. Se ei tule olemaan pelkkä Linux-hakkereille tarkoitettu teknologiapuhelin. Kuluttajat eivät pääse suoraan itse puukottamaan puhelimen kerneliä tai flashaamaan siihen uutta ohjelmistoa.

My translation:
Jolla phone will be a real smartphone aimed at the mass consumer market. It will not be aimed to just Linux-geeks. Consumer will not be able to directly hack the kernel or to flash it with new software.
Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. What a shame :-(

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla