Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Juiceme made for me these instructions to install ED + Netsurf 3.8.

https://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian/L..._Debian_Jessie

These just lack the instructions to change to the debian archives but if one just wants to use Netsurf it is better not to change to archives for there becomes easily many problems when installing there (like 20 times installed ED again after breaking it).

And for me I always have to "groupadd crontab" in chroot first when using the juicemes jessie2sulu img. because otherwise the installing stuff won't work.

But could this Juiceme instructions be modified to install netsurf 3.9? Is there some differences? And if you sulu have knowledge more of how to make the image work (or make an updated image to download with ED) that would be awesome! But appreciate all what you have done.

One question though: what is the benefit of changing from 3.8 to 3.9? I mean with 3.8 still many things wont work (videos, some sites not working properly) and if this is the case with 3.9 too I'm interested to know what is better then, why to change. EDIT: Just got an answer from the security certificate thread that 3.9 supports TLS 1.3 so maybe whatsappweb would work with that. Now just have to get 3.9 to work. If I remove openssl libcurl3 and Netsurf 3.8 and do the same with your stuff with libcurl4 and openssl as I've done with 3.8 according to juiceme's instructions should it work?

I really hope that I would have a well working browser. Things I would need for N900: working browser (gonna install again on ED chromium 57 from odroid to get whatsapp and instagram working cause netsurf 3.8 atleast could not do what I need, that is developer mode or agent to fool instagram to think I'm using mobile. I think Iceweasel maybe would do it if I only knew how to make it pretend to be a mobile cause otherwise you can't post images and I'm on amission in instagram. I follow only one person and use it a channel to post my thoughts to public), working youtube (haven't got cutetube2 to play videos even though it is said it is possible to make it happen), working navigation (which I think is possible but not yet found out how). N900 is though my main phone that I use and not wanna change that.

Thanks sulu for keeping alive N900 with ED and Netsurf and thanks for juiceme for great instructions for installing.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-08-18 at 09:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
I always do the mistake that I try to install synaptic. That just breaks everything. At least if you start to use fix missing and -f install and aptitude and in panic go to do the same with backports. Just giving a warning and an advice Like someone would be that stupid to even try (I am).

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Hahaha...
Oh Maemish my man...
Do you think you are the only soul here silly enough to install synaptic ? Or apt force install? Or apt fix missing?
Or anything of that ilk?
I know I've done it...
And repeatedly too..
So who is sillier?

Its a learning curve everyone goes through...
So don't be so hard on yourself.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Tried your transfer.sh links with microb, opera and netsurf. Files not found. Is it because browsers? Can someone confirm success downloading files?

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
These just lack the instructions to change to the debian archives but if one just wants to use Netsurf it is better not to change to archives for there becomes easily many problems when installing there (like 20 times installed ED again after breaking it).
I have no idea what you're talking about.

And for me I always have to "groupadd crontab" in chroot first when using the juicemes jessie2sulu img. because otherwise the installing stuff won't work.
It's true that "user" under ED is not a member of a group "crontab", but neither is this the case under Maemo.
I don't know what's going on there for you.

But could this Juiceme instructions be modified to install netsurf 3.9?
Sure. Just use the packages of my 1st archive in his step 5.
That being said, I don't know why he's talking about dbus problems. dbus and dbus-x11 should be installed in the image according to [1].

(or make an updated image to download with ED)
I could probably do that some time in the future, but there's not much reason for doing that. Jessie is "old-oldstable" by now, so there's not a lot going on in it anymore.
As I said earlier, we're all riding a dead horse here.

One question though: what is the benefit of changing from 3.8 to 3.9?
Honestly, I have no idea. I try to avoid browsing the web from the N900 whenever I can (mostly I can).
I'm not building netsurf because I use it a lot. For me this is more like a sport than a necessity. I believe netsurf is the last remaining actually usefull browser for the N900 and updating it from time to time is sort of a hobby of mine - just like others collect stamps. I just rebased it on openssl 1.1 because I saw bradvesp's thread and I liked the challenge.

I mean with 3.8 still many things wont work (videos, some sites not working properly) and if this is the case with 3.9 too I'm interested to know what is better then, why to change.
Netsurf isn't meant to be a feature-complete browser like Firefox or Chromium. So a lot of things will never work. Video is one of them. This minimalism is a reason why it's so fast (and therefore still usable on the N900).
The benefit of updating from 3.8 to 3.9 might be, that upstream fixed some security issues (I'm just guessing here), and in the context of my openssl change some more websites might work now than before.
But really, if you're concerend about security, you shouldn't touch the N900 with a 10m pole!

Tried your transfer.sh links with microb, opera and netsurf. Files not found. Is it because browsers? Can someone confirm success downloading files?
The links work for me in all three browsers.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3138

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
For me it really says File not found. I wil check with a laptop. I have noticed this same problem before. Maybe you have something updated I dona't have.

Just to make sure: When you said that dbus and x11 should be nstalled according to (1 do you mean that they should already be working in the img jessie2sulu or that they should be installed afterwards to it according to (1)? I mean that is it necessary to do all the stuff you have listed in your link after I have installed img to easy debbie, or is that just from the beginning of easy debbie and that many or all of those things are already included in later images? If not no wonder why I have had problems. And which img you suggest to install? Is it jessie2sulu or something else?

For me it really says File not found. I wil check with a laptop. I have noticed this same problem before. Maybe you have something updated I dona't have.
There's nothing to update in Maemo anymore.

Just to make sure: When you said that dbus and x11 should be nstalled according to (1 do you mean that they should already be working in the img jessie2sulu or that they should be installed afterwards to it according to (1)?
That post I linked is a manual on how to create your own ED images from scratch.
So if you download one of my images you'll get exactly what is the end result of that manual (unless I screwed up, which has happened).
Since the jessie2sulu image is the latest one, of course that's the one I'd suggest you to download.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Ok. I have always installed that. But the dbus and X11 seems unconfigured or atleast it gives errors with them. Also there is this one thing with number 6 in the end which causes problems. You mentioned something about it in the instructions but can't now remeber what it was. Some applications require it but if I try to install there has became a lot of dependency problems, problems with dpkg and such. I try to document what it is and what happens with it. I remember juiceme warned me about it.

Libc6 it was I think. When I have tried to install some browser related apps (was it telegram) or some other I think it was this libc6 that was required. Should it be in the image and if so is there some problems if it is updated or something? I don't hope you to answer these questions beause this is possibly not enough information. I may try to give you more info later. Maybe I should try what I have tried before and make a mess of my ED and then info what I managed to do and how.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-08-19 at 08:56.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
**) Since zippyshare has blocked users from some parts of the world (including Germany)
it's the other way around

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
@Maemish:
Please try to make your posts more concise! It's very hard to figure out what you're doing, what worked, what didn't work, and why whatever you did, didn't work.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
it's the other way around
Not according to heise.de:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...s-4408980.html

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze