So i am a former n900 user and that phone was the worst phone i ever owned. Maybe I was unlucky but I went through three of them before my warranty expired and I had to start paying to fix any new issues with it. Well to have it repaired will cost over 150 usa dollars so now i am just looking at it

anyway i heard that the N9 was a worthy successor to the N900 and its way more stable and less quirky. I think I spent more time toubleshooting the N900 than actually using, btw the N900 was a horrible phone but a functional tablet...is this the case with the N9? I heard there has been issues with people getting fake phones and the colours on the black matte device fading, which is why i am getting glossy white while i still can!

but yeah are there any major issues with the N9?

If I were you, I'd wait until Jolla will release their handset. It shouldn't be too long.

The main issue - Harmattan is a dead platform. You can of course run the community distro (Nemo Mobile based on the Mer core - community fork of Meego) on N9. But it's not a full user experience yet (it's lacking some basic features like e-mail client for example).

Jolla are basing their OS on Mer as well, and are planning to release a handset with it next year.

See the related thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85315

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-21 at 21:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
the N9 is not supported in my country and its such a niche product I decided to ask here.

I see this forum has gone to hell I use to be a more active poster a few years ago when the N900 just came out and i remember everyone being super friendly

I am having an extremely difficult time finding product information regarding the N9, Nokia itself didnt even shipped very many and killed its OS and nearly dropped all support.

But i am not in the mood to blindly buy another device so i guess i may go with something else

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
If I were you, I'd wait until Jolla will release their handset. It shouldn't be too long.

The main issue - Harmattan is a dead platform. You can of course run the community distro (Nemo Mobile based on the Mer core - community fork of Meego) on N9. But it's not a full user experience yet (it's lacking some basic features like e-mail client for example).

Jolla are basing their OS on Mer as well, and are planning to release a handset with it next year.

See the related thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85315
interesting but seeing how my n900 as well as my backup phone are dead i am looking too buy something soon but i will keep the jolla phone in mind

Well, you can buy N900 reasonably cheap on e-bay. Paying for N9 won't be a small investment, and I don't think it's worth it for a short time before Jolla's release. Unless of course you aren't constrained with money - then sure, go for N9 for now. It's a very decent handset.

Well, if You don't mind dumbed down OS, over-advertised, counter-productive swipe(tm), lack of things like microSD slot, easily removable battery, or possibility (lack of, again) to do real things, like hostmode - well, You should be OK with it, as rest is generally fair.

But, if want phone miserably trying to mimic computer functionality, instead of computer with phone stack (N900), what You're doing here? you have plenty of less expensive choices.

BTW, it always make me laugh, when people repeat slogan about N900 being "good as computer, terrible as phone". With all community enhancements, I've never seen anything *better* as phone, than N900 - despite fact, that it's for sure computer first, phone later. Only one thing missing - that I can think of - is sim toolkit, but it's a) special thing required only for purposes like dual-sim (yes, N900 is capable of this one too), and b) you usually set up thing via sim toolkit only once, so You can do it with you SIM, using any 2$ 10 years old dumb phone You have in drawer, and forget about it thereafter.

/Estel

// Edit

+1 on buying N900 from aftermarket. It's quite interesting, that You've spent 150 $ on repairs - actually, for 150$, You may buy used N900 in very good or ideal condition, with reinforced (hardened) USB port.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
what are you looking for?
a phone or a geek-device?

how are you handling your device?
maybe you should try a N8? it's aluminium casing makes it extremely sturdy as well...

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, if You don't mind dumbed down OS, over-advertised, counter-productive swipe(tm), lack of things like microSD slot, easily removable battery, or possibility (lack of, again) to do real things, like hostmode - well, You should be OK with it, as rest is generally fair.

But, if want phone miserably trying to mimic computer functionality, instead of computer with phone stack (N900), what You're doing here? you have plenty of less expensive choices.

BTW, it always make me laugh, when people repeat slogan about N900 being "good as computer, terrible as phone". With all community enhancements, I've never seen anything *better* as phone, than N900 - despite fact, that it's for sure computer first, phone later. Only one thing missing - that I can think of - is sim toolkit, but it's a) special thing required only for purposes like dual-sim (yes, N900 is capable of this one too), and b) you usually set up thing via sim toolkit only once, so You can do it with you SIM, using any 2$ 10 years old dumb phone You have in drawer, and forget about it thereafter.

/Estel
well i used the word "functional" rather than good. The N900 took a alot of work to get it work but it had some serious hardware flaws. Actually a nokia representative told me themselves that they had so many issues with the phone they "dropped" support and pretty much blame the community for downloading/generating third party apps that had unknown interactions with the N900.

Anyway I liked the idea behind the N900, I was just wondering if the N9 was better, especially hardware wise because this were IMO the N900 failed.

Last edited by Klavier; 2012-09-21 at 21:16.

this forum is starting to piss me off! The n9 is a great device! (owned a n900 before)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sniper_swe For This Useful Post: