Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
After getting tired of the cat and mouse game i had to go through to get my ipod touch to play well with my ubuntu .. i finally gave up sold it and ordered the Nokia N810 .. while i have not yet gotten it .. am quite excited and would like to ask a few questions about the device

1- Is it themeable i mean is it easy to theme the N810 and are there themes for it freely available or do i have to go the hacking route to get theming to work

2-is there any wordprossor for the device.. last time i checked .it doesnt come with any wordprocessor .. but can one be easily installed from 3rd party .. if would be cool if i could use abiword on the device ..

3-Does the inbuilt IM apps support yahoo msger ... and can the skype be used to make video calls

4-Does the device work with proxy .. i live and work in a university and all our internet traffic is behind a network proxy .. how well does the device handle proxies

5- how good is the headphones that comes with it (for listening to music)

6- does it support 8gb micro sd cards ..

7- are there 3rd party browsers available for it like opera , midori ..

sorry for my long list .. and thanks in advance ..

Yes to all. headphone ok at best, if you load KDE or Debian they both have full office, I've got 32gb cards on my N800. Someone posted a hack to allow full size sdhc cards on N810.
You made the right choice. Just browse the threads and you will be amazed at what you can do with this devise. No steve telling you can't do that and best of all its FREE! enjoy and welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
1: there are around 20 themes and you can make your own with a theme editor
2: For Maemo, the default OS on the tablets there are only a few basic text editors. To edit Word documents you need to install Debian or one of the alternative windowmanagers .(see the wiki) which takes some work. Google Docs also works in the browser. There is an Abiword port but it is note quite finished yet.
3: not sure
4: normal http proxies should work. Don't know if your university has some special requirements.
5: no idea, I never use the standard headphones
6: yes
7: For Maemo there is only Microb and a port of Midori. For other browsers you need to install Debian or one of the alternative windowmanagers.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-09-20 at 12:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Thanks guys for your prompt reply ... in anticipation for the arrival of my device i want start encoding some of the many movies i have .. does any body know what tool i can use in encoding video for the N810 ..what format is supported and if there is any special settings i have to use ... i run Ubuntu and don't have any windows installation .. with the ipod touch i used winff which worked perfectly ..

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
3- Skype does not support video calls.
5- Fairly good.

The Following User Says Thank You to fgs For This Useful Post:
does any body know what tool i can use in encoding video for the N810 ..what format is supported and if there is any special settings i have to use ... i run Ubuntu and don't have any windows installation .. with the ipod touch i used winff which worked perfectly ..
Check the wiki link above, or the new wiki at http://wiki.maemo.org/

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
In regards to number 5, the headphones themselves are not the limiting factor. I've used high-end in-ear monitors with the n800, and it was not a good experience. The audio fidelity is not so good, as the device emits a "staticy" sound anytime audio is output through the jack. I'm not sure if the same is true with the N810, however.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
1- Is it themeable i mean is it easy to theme the N810 and are there themes for it freely available or do i have to go the hacking route to get theming to work
--- Yes there is a Java theme editor running on Windows, Apple and Linux and there are even themes availaboe. Search on this forum.

2-is there any wordprossor for the device.. last time i checked .it doesnt come with any wordprocessor .. but can one be easily installed from 3rd party .. if would be cool if i could use abiword on the device ..
--- Abiword should work, but I personally do not have experience with it.

3-Does the inbuilt IM apps support yahoo msger ... and can the skype be used to make video calls
--- Not builtin, but you can get Pidgin which supports Yahoo Messenger. I use it for MSN and works great.

4-Does the device work with proxy .. i live and work in a university and all our internet traffic is behind a network proxy .. how well does the device handle proxies
--- Yes you can configure each network connection profile with proxy, etc.

5- how good is the headphones that comes with it (for listening to music)
--- Not very well, but the socket is standard 3.5mm which fits all standard headsets / earbuds from $2 Wall-Mart to $200 Bang & Olufsen ones.

6- does it support 8gb micro sd cards ..
--- Mini SD (or micro with adapter), officially up till 8 GB, but in this forum I read about 32 GB.

7- are there 3rd party browsers available for it like opera , midori ..
--- No(t yet). maybe Opera will port their browser. But the builtin browser is very good it is a REAL web broser issuing a desktop user agent and supporting Flash, so not a crappy 'mobile' browser.

One note: there is NO Java (yet ?? ) for this device, so no Opera Mini, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post: