Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ankurs View Post
lol , microsoft and opersource dont go hand in hand

the n9 ui is made by nokia, so they can use it on whichever platform they want & from what elop hits, its coming to wp
I doubt that nokia can make big changes to the OS. I'm sure Microsoft want the GUI pretty much intact. But nokia might been allowed to improve the OS as a whole.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I doubt that nokia can make big changes to the OS. I'm sure Microsoft want the GUI pretty much intact. But nokia might been allowed to improve the OS as a whole.
Nokia CAN modify wp7 & parts of it will go back to Microsoft to be integrated back into the core.

it might not happen with wp7.5 , but i do believe the n9 ui will endup in nokia wp7 handsets

Last edited by ankurs; 2011-06-23 at 18:00.

Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
So Brazil will get WP7, possibly? it doesn't make any sense. We never were treated as a high-end consumer market. We always get the dumbphones, and the smartphones with a hell of a delay.

It's one of the biggest Nokia markets for sure, but WP7 have no presence here. And we have a gigantic open source community here.
That last sentence just answered your own question. Sad but true. The new Nokia (and I thought they only changed their fonts....)

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
That demo of the multitasking... how is that better than what was demoed on the N9?! It's like Symbian multitasking, which requires more work.

I still think the best multitasking is on the N900 with camkeyd. Period.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |

leave n9 (harmattan) alone!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
People listen up, Ericsson has a list of disruptive messages :

1. Nokias strategy should be crystal clear to anybody by now, yet all you do is whine about how ugly Elop is.

2. WP is for mid to high end devices and business devices, and the transition from phone to tablet to pc will be seamless - eventually.

3. MeeGo and Symbian will have to go (although not entirely sure about Symbian).

4. A new smartphone platform will emerge with the N9 UI (Qt). It will be low to mid end and a few more geeky devices. The OS will be S40 or some other light weight multitasking one (yes, S40 is in fact multitasking). Could even be Symbian, but I somehow doubt it.

Ericsson looked at all that disruptiveness, and thought - this will be cooool Nokia is da Man

Originally Posted by Maj3stic View Post
Who else thinks the British Airways app is pretty cool? Yes there's a lot of flashy unnecessary stuff to make it look better and complicated but then again who doesn't like overly flashy complicated stuff, like my n900 :P
Gotta admit that I quite like it, but it would make me want hammer my thumb in to the screen in vain with the hope of throwing a flash granade through the flight-deck doors and ducking behind a chair

I would not have it myself through... The thought of losing my phone and having some undesirable not return it with all my regular info is bad enough, but have them knowing when I am out of the country too with any personal info is f*** scary.

On topic: Elop is playing one hell of a dirty game here. It seems as though he does not dare to give people a choice, even at the own cost of Nokia.

I pray to god that Nok+WP7 fails. Only then would the board consider getting rid of him, hopefully that will not be too late.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
But they have called it "Sea Ray" ? So we wouldn't confuse them with each other

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by ankurs View Post
if you watch the video closely, he says the UI will be reused .... aka will see wp7 with n9 UI sometime in future
No, we don't see WP-phones with N9 UI.

Instead we will see following:
- low-end gadget (~1ghz)
- N9 UI
- Qt

Experience is so simple and intuitive that it will fit very well into entry level category.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
People listen up, Ericsson has a list of disruptive messages :

1. Nokias strategy should be crystal clear to anybody by now, yet all you do is whine about how ugly Elop is.

2. WP is for mid to high end devices and business devices, and the transition from phone to tablet to pc will be seamless - eventually.

3. MeeGo and Symbian will have to go (although not entirely sure about Symbian).

4. A new smartphone platform will emerge with the N9 UI (Qt). It will be low to mid end and a few more geeky devices. The OS will be S40 or some other light weight multitasking one (yes, S40 is in fact multitasking). Could even be Symbian, but I somehow doubt it.

Ericsson looked at all that disruptiveness, and thought - this will be cooool Nokia is da Man
Yes,No and No. In fact, WP is using the compact .net framework while the tablets are using the desktop version. As a result, "Seamless" transition is impossible.

Symbian will stay until 2015 at least. No proof. But it's clear that nokia will not abandon it soon.

The "dual core" innovation is not available in some countries. I guess those high end phones would prefer the distribution in the developed countries instead. So, the N9 will be announced earlier than the Galaxy S2(In those countries).