Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
If Nokia pulls TMO funding, the TMO repositories will die correct ? And there is currently no backup or mirror in place correct ?
TMO stands for Talk.Maemo.Org. It is a forum. It has a lot of people and a lot of posts. The software is hosted on repository.maemo.org and accessed through maemo.org/downloads/ and maemo.org/packages/. That has thousands of packages which encompasses the majority of third party software for Maemo.

There is also garage.maemo.org which provides developer support services (such as mailing lists and source code management).

So you are correct in saying that losing maemo.org would be a big deal. However:
  • We are fairly confident we'd have some warning about a change in the funding status. Quim has recently said similar, but it won't hurt to ask for a reconfirmation.
  • We are going to ask for a breakdown of costs so that if things do change, the community will know what sort of money is needed.
  • There are a couple of mirrors of repository.maemo.org floating around. One was got up and running a couple of days ago: not much warning is needed.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I have a simple question for the council.

Can someone ask nokia to provide a price for the closed source parts of the now legacy maemo 5 operating system?

At the very least a cost for the most important parts that we cannot re-write ourselves.

i.e. mce (or whatever the fu.. it is called)

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
TMO stands for Talk.Maemo.Org. It is a forum. It has a lot of people and a lot of posts. The software is hosted on repository.maemo.org and accessed through maemo.org/downloads/ and maemo.org/packages/. That has thousands of packages which encompasses the majority of third party software for Maemo.

There is also garage.maemo.org which provides developer support services (such as mailing lists and source code management).

So you are correct in saying that losing maemo.org would be a big deal. However:
  • We are fairly confident we'd have some warning about a change in the funding status. Quim has recently said similar, but it won't hurt to ask for a reconfirmation.
  • We are going to ask for a breakdown of costs so that if things do change, the community will know what sort of money is needed.
  • There are a couple of mirrors of repository.maemo.org floating around. One was got up and running a couple of days ago: not much warning is needed.
Thanks for that - appreciate it. Sometimes alot of people take for granted the community support for the N900 and dont think about the nuts and bolts of the situation and what can go wrong.

Not trying to be paranoid, but given the current Nokia/MS situation I think no one can be sure or have firm expectations about the future. Having a backup plan if the worst happens is a good policy.

But from the sounds of things you guys have considered this possibility and have it in hand - that is reassuring.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It does seem that everything is in the balance even the future of this forum, Nokia certainly have a lot to answer for but i guess the only way to look to the future is to realise what would or could happen if Nokia shuts down completely, which now is a strong possibility.
At least that way you start to develop a true future road on its own merits without Nokia.

Best option i read so far is continuing support from the likes of Intel.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
If Nokia pulls TMO funding, the TMO repositories will die correct ?
TMO doesn't have repositories.

TMO is talk.maemo.org, the forums that comprise one component of the larger maemo.org. Talk is run from a server Reggie has hosted somewhere; I know not where. I do know the Talk server is not hosted at the same location, or by the same company, as the rest of the maemo.org servers.

Nokia has been covering the hosting cost of the Talk server so Reggie no longer needs to run ads on the site, as he did with InternetTabletTalk. Should Nokia stop providing that money, it may be possible to switch back to ad-based funding, but I do not know if:
  1. the increase in forum activity since the InternetTabletTalk days would make ad-based funding more difficult
  2. the funds the ads brought in during the InternetTabletTalk era were enough to fully cover Reggie's hosting costs even then

And regardless, keeping just t.m.o alive doesn't help maintain all the other services maemo.org provides, such as the repositories.

EDIT: Jaffa was faster. I'll leave this here in case the information on the forum's ad-supported past is useful.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-02-17 at 15:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Am sure many many of us would want to contribute financially if ever a situation came that actually threatened Maemo.org.

I would for one and have no second thoughts.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Am sure many many of us would want to contribute financially if ever a situation came that actually threatened Maemo.org.

I would for one and have no second thoughts.
Which is why we'll be finding out costs. However, I suspect that from your comment here and the $50 mentioned above, we might be able to scrap together enough for a month.

There is a lot of traffic. The repos are hosted in content-distribution networks to increase throughput (but increase cost); there are build servers, web servers, mail servers, ...

A quick whip round is not going to do it. Asking the community to pay (how would that work?) presents an us & them atmosphere between those who contribute and those who don't. It would need to be considered very carefully.

So, would you & geneven care to draft a proposal as to how it could work? Assume we can find volunteers to do all the sys admin work and that we're only dealing with bandwidth and server costs (let's go for renting), so let's say somewhere in the region of $5000 a year (that's an educated guess) - we can revise it in light of actual sums at a later point.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
One of the ways would be to create an account that people can pay directly into and set up a monthly figure for example as a direct debit to enable a fixed amount per month.

Some homework is required to get the actual figure needed per annum and then see how many people are prepared to contribute on a fixed monthly basis.

I really do not see a problem because this community is more valuable to end user than i have ever seen before, anyone can come with a question and within minutes get answers, that makes it valuable, just think of the phone cost per problem to helplines etc if we did not have this help readily available on here.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The software is hosted on repository.maemo.org and accessed through maemo.org/downloads/ and maemo.org/packages/. That has thousands of packages which encompasses the majority of third party software for Maemo.
With just a little warning that can be taken elsewhere relatively easily. I'm more concerned about the nokia.com repositories which contain closed bits and thus can't be copied legally.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
GOD DAMMIT, somone leak the ****ing code already!

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
can someone, elopcalypse, unplug him