Having recently taken ownership of an n900, I must say it is impressive however at this stage there is one thing that's really putting a spanner in the works for me and that's being able to sync up with my syncml address book and calendar.

My research prior to arrival of the phone lead me to believe that I could use the same solution as my desktop and namely that syncevolution would do the trick. Syncevolution is now installed on the phone and my server configuration ported over from my pc but I've been unable to establish what the configured data sources should map for the n900 or whether it's just not supported???. Running syncevolution the n900 complains:

"calendar: type 'calendar' not supported by any of the backends (syncebook.so.0 syncsqllite.so.0). The following backend(s) were not found: syncecal.so.0, addressbok.so.0

Looking around, there is plenty of discussion about synevolution for the n800 and older tablets but understandably at this stage there isn't a great deal around specifically catering for the n900.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get synevolution running on their n900 against the default calendar and address book. I would love to know for sure if this works and get something written up for other people wanting to cross this bridge.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
i tryed to compile syncevolution 0.91 but without success.
i didn't find libecal library

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I think Nokia didn't use a backend for the calendar that Syncevolution can deal with. I don't remember exactly, but I think even on the N800/N810, they had a crippled version of the Evolution Data Server (EDS) that did not include calendar data. It was possible to fix this, though, by installing the calendar application from the pimlico suite.
If you installed syncevolution after that, it would sync both contacts and calendar data.

At least I think that's how in worked in Chinook. Pimlico was never fully ported for Diablo, even though at least Contacts worked for me there.

In Maemo 5, the calendar is completely taken out of the EDS framework (for whatever reason...?), so I don't believe Syncevolution will ever work for it.

You should be able to compile it without calendar support, so it will at least run on a system that only offers a contacts database.

BTW:
How did you compile syncevolution 0.9x? I tried a few weeks ago in the Diablo SDK for my N810, and it did work (kind of) without the GUI, but that was boring and didn't bring enough improvements over 0.8. - When I tried to compile with GUI, there were unmet dependencies I couldn't handle, so I gave up.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I tried to compile without GUI in Maemo 5 SDK.

Funambol have a USD 750 code bounty for a working N900 syncml client FWIW.