Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Its been a good minute since I've played with my N800. Truthfully, since getting the N95, the IT has taken a backseat for just about everything. Until a few nights ago, it was relegated to being my music player when cooking and email archive machine. That's pretty much it.

Then I saw this concept video by Microsoft.

What I saw made me want to pick up the IT again and start playing, but differently.

I've decided to take a piece of that video, and see if I could pull it off today. Specifically, I am looking to make the IT a portfolio folder, extended desktop, and notepad for my other work. Not something that I carry all the time (the N95 is sufficient), but something that can elimate the briefcase while enabling some collaborative tech in the office.

So here's where I am starting:
- I am using Xournal to be the PDF reader and annotation app
- I'm hoping that someone can develop a plugin to Evernote
- I'm using a conventional USB cable interface to the PC where the Tablet will be pretty much drag and drop for all files, and the initial destination for all work-related docs
- and finally searching for a solid RSS app, or sticking with the iPhone edition of Google Reader, or moving to another browser completly (very likely)

The point being that I want to see how the IT could work as a single purposed device, and then help those developers who are looking for an avenue to build applications that would profit the platform.

My reason for posting here, well, I'm looking for developers who have ideas and needs help getting them tested and integrated. And I'd like to hear some thoughts from those of you who might have put your Tablets aside for UI or other issues, and might have been wondering what could be done with these devices while waiting for new devices and the new Maemo 5 OS.

So, let's chat. And hopefully, let's build something pretty neat and useful for a lot of folks.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Tablets deserve an E series instead than N series tag - they're excellent professional tools in my view..
I can join your thoughts in that I also throw the majority of my docs inside. I have mainly pdf, open document format docs, word docs, txt, and jpg files.
I'd like a new interface to all that stuff - not a vanilla style file manager but some kind ol semantic archiver which takes track of all my files and can index according to filetype, contents, date, title, maybe similarities between them and the so.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
I totally agree, maybe something like this application which was demoed at MWC (via Mobile Industry Review). This app would probably be perfect.

So far so good with the whole drag and drop piece; but I'd really like to be able to go wireless for that aspect.

It would also be nice if Xournal were a Diablo app and tweaked in a few ways. Might have ideas for that part later.

SO far so good with this experiment. Even had an issue where my work laptop crashed, but all my data was on my IT and I pretty much didn't miss a beat (Exchange, PDFs, and WiFi, whoot!).

The inability to easily connect to monitors is tough. As is the whole MS Office compatability piece. Seems also that my battery is starting to degrade a bit sooner on some days. Will have to look into that.

I could use a Xournal applet though. Something like OMWeather, except it shows thumbs of the most recently opened files. That would increase usabiliy a good bit.

Tags
office, xournal