Active Topics

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
maybe this answers....

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...60/p26078.aspx

from the same reseller...
still good, £50 less than nokia shop.

Good grief, this is like my wait for the TyTN2 all over again. Back then I actually borrowed money from my baby daughter to fund its purchase.

I'm surely going for an unbranded phone, and contemplating going completely SIM free but finding a decent low-minutes, high data access SIM-only deal seems to be a futile effort.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Guys, "pre-order" prices mean nothing in the UK. They contact you when the device is actually available, and quote you the current price which you can then choose to accept or reject.

It's likely that the re-sellers will be cheaper than the direct Nokia price, but don't count on anything until you can actually buy one at that price.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I got my Xperia X1 from http://mobiles.co.uk (part of Carphone Warehouse) and am keeping on eye on them for the N900 too.

I am hoping I can sell my Xperia to go towards getting the N900 as I am sick of Windows Mobile, its too unstable and seems to seriously lack in apps. I even tried writing my own but every time I found something useful it was not available on the mobile API, really annoying.

I am hoping Maemo is more a case of "if its available on Linux, its probably available on the N900" especially as a lot of useful stuff is command line only so would only need a simple GUI written to make it usable by touch.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
Sorry, maybe Im missing the point here, but how do we know that these would be unbranded and non-customized versions ?

Could this not be possible that this reseller actually buys it from vodaphone in case vodaphone would be confirmed that they are selling the N900's ?
In that case it would be branded, locked and even customized in who knows what way !

Would anybody help clarify this please ? the deal sounds irresistable , its a whopping £100 less !

I also couldn't quite believe this deal, so got on to their 'live help'
Hello Steve. My name is Webshop Customer Help how can I help you?
Steve says:
Hi
Webshop Customer Help says:
Hi
Steve says:
I have seen this morning that you are offering the Nokia N900 on SIM Free and PrePay
Yes
Steve says:
I jsut wanted to confirm the differences between the two offers
Ok
Steve says:
I see that the pre-pay is £50 cheaper
Yes
Steve says:
does this mean the device is sim locked to Vodafone?
No
Steve says:
ok, is it Vodafone Branded?
no
Steve says:
Ok, so does this mean that the only difference is the inclusion of the Voda prepay card?
Yes voda assume that your be using the sim card and topping up so pay a bit towards the handset for you making it cheaper to buy the phone this way
Steve says:
ok, so apart from this this will be the same device pack as per the SIM free offer?
Yes
Steve says:
Thanks sorry for all the questions!
no problem
Steve says:
when do you expect stock delivery?
No exact date im afraid, mid to late october as far a we know
Steve says:
ok, thank you for all you help!
Thats ok no problem

Good news!

Looks like I'm off to cancel my Nokia store preorder

Although, I guess the Nokia store will be the first to deliver devices (begining of October?) but can't resist a 20% discount for a few more weeks of impatience..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Withnail For This Useful Post:
Wow, good work Withnail!

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Ok guys this is a long one, I just had a chat with a hopefully "live" ;-) agent at

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...60/p26078.aspx

Please wait. A representative will be with you shortly.
One moment please...
We apologize for the delay. A representive will be with you shortly.
Hello Kris. This is Webshop Customer Help how can we help you?
Kris says:
Hi there
Kris says:
i saw on your website, 2 diff deals for the Nokia N900.

Kris says:
one which is PAYG on Vodaphone for 398 and the other SIM free for 448

Kris says:
what is the difference between the two as far as the handset is concerned , would you please clarify? and when is the stock expected ?

Stock will be the end of October. The handsets are the same, however the PAYG version is locked to the netwrok you buy it on. The sim free version is as it states, sim free and open to all network sims.
Kris says:
OK that explains, thanks
Kris says:
also
Kris says:
are the prices fixed or would it change when the devices are actually released
and if i pre-order now, even if the price increases after the launch, i wouldn't be affected right ? i still pay the pre-order price

Yes you will pay the pre-order price

Of course the one with the SIM is locked why else would it be £50 cheaper than the SIM free.

quite tempting but still unable to decide , dont know what advantage I would have buying directly from Nokia........

Last edited by krk969; 2009-09-18 at 13:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
wish i waited a week longer its seems theres going to be awesomely low competitive prices in the UK but i'm too eager and want it as quick as possible so went directly to nokia
I did exactly the same.
It's a pre-order. Just cancel it.

I have now ordered from mobilephonesdirect. The subsidised price (£0 !!) makes it much cheaper. My quick calculations work out about £200 cheaper over 18 months (including a charge for the early termination of my existing contract).

I would suggest if the 50£ isnt too much of a factor for you, but it direct from Nokia, although the company in concern is said to be reputable but still you cant beat the real Nokia store aprt from the gurantee that you are getting a as nokia meant it to be product after sales service is amazing, a fact i can say for certain experience that is not available on mobile phones direct.

The Following User Says Thank You to epoch24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
In theory it is supposed to be locked if you buy on payg from a reseller, in practice it is often unlocked.

The Following User Says Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:

Tags
£306!!