Hello all,

Bought a N900 finally the Christmas of 2010, and the last three months have been the time of my life. Experimented, tinkered, built a few widgets and have been in absolute awe of the power Nokia had* released with this phone. For the only downside of a heavier piece in the pocket, this phone offers me the flexibility to be on top of my world (eg. FCamera that takes HDR pics, or controlling my TV with N900 as remote, edit word docs on the go etc) Many credits to the amazing community here.

I stayed away from Nitdroid all these days, but finally managed to get some time to sit down and try manual installation. I was following one of the posts on the forum and it mentioned
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and
cd /and
rm -rf *
before installing the .deb file.

While I stopped to think twice the role of "rm -rf * ", I expected a "yes" "no" confirmation. Unfortunately, there wasnt and I ended up deleting everything.

Now, the phone doesnt startup properly, the icons are gone, the text is gone, the colours are gone, and the phone is a mess.

I SCREWED MY BEAUTY MY PRECIOUS

QUESTION:

1. Will reflashing the EMMC and kernel bring back the N900 to the original place? Or do I need to take this to Nokia service center
2. Is there anyway I can still retreive the photos collection I have inside?
3. Have I screwed up beyond redemption?

Please help!!!

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
1. I think so
2. try to plug it in your PC and moving all you need to your PC or try to lash kernel only
3 no, it's never too late with a little help from the community and lots of patience

The Following User Says Thank You to KetkuFIN For This Useful Post:
1. I bricked my n900 through various ways and even if it seemed bricked for good I always managed to flash it and save it

Reply within minutes!!!!

Thats what I love this community and you guys for... Thanks man!!!

I will try reflashing the kernel ALONE first. If it doesnt work then I might end up doing the entire thing..

Cheers all!!!

Will try to do it tonight... and will come back if I face problems ( I hope not)

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Even if just kernel reflash doesn't work, reflashing the fiasco image as a whole should be fine. No need to reflash eMMC. That's only for really bad cases.

As an example, I ran fsck on my /home partition, while it was mounted, like 3 times. Partition was massively screwed, and phone would barely boot past the Nokia screen after that, then reboot loop. Merely reflashing the fiasco image fixed it, and there was no need to touch eMMC. (I reflashed both, eMMC included, shortly there after, for other reasons, but it worked well enough for me to get everything I needed off my eMMC MyDocs storage without a single hitch.) Since the /and directory is presumably within the N900's rootfs partition, a fiasco reflash should definitely be sufficient (though merely kernel reflash may not be).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
yeah the emmc doesn't store any of the rootfs stuff, if you just reflah the FIASCO image (kernel+rootfs) you'll be good

Last edited by JadeH; 2011-04-02 at 07:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Next time it is easier to just reformat the nitdroid partition instead of mounting and deleting everything.

Code:
mke2fs -L NITDroid -j -m0 /dev/mmcblk1p2

All,

Thanks a lot for your support. My work had been killing my time, and finally i got to sit down yesterday and re-install the fiasco image.

It was a breeze.!!!!!!! Love you Nokia

The whole processs was over in 5 minutes

My entire Documents (photos, etc) were still in place!!!

Only loss is Applications, but who cares, On the road again!!!

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
All,

Thanks a lot for your support. My work had been killing my time, and finally i got to sit down yesterday and re-install the fiasco image.

It was a breeze.!!!!!!! Love you Nokia

The whole processs was over in 5 minutes

My entire Documents (photos, etc) were still in place!!!

Only loss is Applications, but who cares, On the road again!!!
Might be worth doing this as well at command

alias rm='rm -i'

Get that prompt you were looking for
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900