Hello, i'm new here, but I've lurked a bit, and I hope I got the title right. I just took a look at the threads in the suggestions box above the text box, and I don't think anyone has had this idea written down or in development or anything.
My proposal is an app that allows you to utilize the GPS on the N900 remotely (a desktop computer/laptop, or maybe even another N900!) and allows you to see where your N900 is located using GPS. I think this would be a great useful app because you could be able to find your N900 if you lose it, and more importantly, if it gets stolen. I'm sure it would be able to help law enforcement and yourself in locating the device, and after all, no one wants to have their 500 dollar stolen with no idea where it is.
Thanks for reading the brick of text about my idea and I hope someone sees potential in it.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61116
I must not have seen it when I searched, thanks for pointing it out. In my head, instead of sending text messages to the phone and such, would it be easier to have something resembling Google Maps with your N900 indicated on the map in some cases?

Last edited by Deathmog; 2010-09-26 at 05:56.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah the search sucks, just use google with site:talk.maemo.org
there were some other apps to do this also, but i am not sure of the current status.
iamhere is dead, i think. here is another recent discussion:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54546

anyways, if you want it visual, maybe someone can integrate it with gpsgate.com buddytracker or something similar. (this symbian app uses that)

The Symbian app looks like it would be great if it was modified a little somehow. Maybe there's something very similar to it for Maemo?