Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by MeeGo Mailing List
We have some clear goals:

* To be openly developed and openly governed as a meritocracy
* That primary customers of the platform are device vendors - not end-users.
* To provide a device manufacturer oriented structure, processes and
tools: make life easy for them
* To have a device oriented architecture
* To be inclusive of technologies (such as MeeGo/Tizen/Qt/EFL/HTML5)
* To innovate in the mobile OS space
(full post at http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...er/484215.html)

Those around who might remember Mer - Maemo Reconstructed - a project/proposal to open up Maemo with open software and an open way of working.. well, it's back, this time as MeeGo Reconstructed, aiming at continuing MeeGo and ultimately becoming MeeGo 2.0.

It aims at keeping & continuing the best parts of MeeGo while doing away with the worst parts and adding some new bits on top, like making it much easier to port to new devices.

Those interested in participating or asking questions, feel free to pop into #mer on freenode!

I look forward to seeing my N900 running the MeeGo UX on top of Mer in the near future.

The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
a blog post (by yours truly) explaining a little more about Mer: http://blog.rburchell.com/2011/10/me...ction-and.html

Last edited by w00t; 2011-10-03 at 07:42. Reason: typo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
a blog post (by yours truly) explaining a little more about Mer: http://blog.rburchell.com/2011/10/me...ction-and.html
I read your blog and it was refreshing to read, comes across with real intent without being pushy so a big thumbs up to you.

But i got a question.........

Will stskeeps have anything to do with this?.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Will stskeeps have anything to do with this?.
Yes, Mer is his 'baby' originally. I'd say it'll be quite a bigger playground with so many interested folks now, but of course he'll be there.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Yes, Mer is his 'baby' originally. I'd say it'll be quite a bigger playground with so many interested folks now, but of course he'll be there.
Then will you please reiterate to him that for meego to be recognised and people to have faith, it MUST be capable of more than it is right now.

Many people have lost faith because of the limitations it has and after such a long time.

I want to see meego succeed where Maemo failed and i am serious about this.

I said to you before about the N9 and i meant what i said in that everyone who buys the N9 will have expectations of meego from there on and if the adaption does not match the meego installs of the N9 then it will fail miserably.

This is not a dig in any way it is a request for a better meego experiance for the N900 and i wish you and stskeeps all the best with this and just hope it pulls through this time.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Will this be limited to the N900? Limited to Nokia products?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Will this be limited to the N900? Limited to Nokia products?
Limited to whatever people want to put it on. MeeGo Handset CE is already rebasing on top of it, so that's N900/N950/N9, I guess someone will have a generic x86 adaptation pretty soon if there isn't one already (it should be doable by picking up the pieces from MeeGo itself)...

It's probably also possible to get it booting on a larger range of devices, since Mer (unlike MeeGo) is building for a much wider range of architectures, not just armv7

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Thumbs up for this project.

Hope to see you guys take full advantage of MeeGo CE's work. Love the fact that Qt is onboard.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Yessssssssss..... This is what we all want...

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Mer. great! finally the puzzle pieces are getting into place. : ) !
all the best team! being a Meego CE early adapter for long time..i cant wait for this!

Tags
déjà vu, for the fjords, just pining, meego is dead, not dead