Thanks ossipena and bsving. I tried those options too, but to no avail. It still kept rebooting when connected via USB cable to the PC. PC detects the fone and tries to install the driver and then the fone switches off and PC notifies saying "The driver installation failed". The same process repeats when the phone keeps rebooting. However I'm able to access the folders in the disk space/folders (32GB) of N900.

Do you think updating the firmware and flashing the device might make the phone work?

The cpu will still go to sleep while the device is charging, so I don't see that as a valid test of anything.

What we're dealing with here is not a problem with the watchdog. That's just the feature that reboots the device for you once it freezes. From the comments Nokia devs have made on bug 6334, it is apparently some kind of linux kernel bug involving the CPU power management that is triggered much more frequently for certain N900s depending on some unknown component variation in the electronics.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by julian167 View Post
Thanks ossipena and bsving. I tried those options too, but to no avail. It still kept rebooting when connected via USB cable to the PC. PC detects the fone and tries to install the driver and then the fone switches off and PC notifies saying "The driver installation failed". The same process repeats when the phone keeps rebooting. However I'm able to access the folders in the disk space/folders (32GB) of N900.

Do you think updating the firmware and flashing the device might make the phone work?
could you type to xterm:

Code:
cat /proc/bootreason
and write here what the output of cat-command is?

it most probably is sw_rst or 32wd_to

but let's see what it is and continue after that is clear.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-12-31 at 09:38. Reason: apparently you don't need to be root

Is there a way to do that from a PC without having to touch the N900? The reason I ask this is, I never even got a chance to explore what are the options under the menu screen in my N900. My phone continuously keeps restarting as soon as I start it, barely giving me 5-10 seconds to view the menu screen.

Originally Posted by kyle View Post
The cpu will still go to sleep while the device is charging, so I don't see that as a valid test of anything.
No, only when connected to the charger, not when connected to the PC with USB. Don't ask me why, but it is a fact

Julian, try turn it off (take out the batteries, if it reboots to quick and put them back in). Then connect it to the USB when it is off. Let the PC install (or not) drivers. Then when it is connected, turn it on.

However, conecting it with USB is one of the things that will stop rebooting for this particular problem, so you may have a different problem.

Ok. This is what I did now. Removed the battery from N900. Inserted battery back after sometime. N900 did not start by itself. Plugged the USB cable and connected it between N900 and PC. N900's glowing light started to blink indicating that its being charged. N900 still did not switch on by itself. Then I powered on my N900. I went till the menu screen (10 seconds) and then I got an error in an yellow line on the menu screen saying "Internal error. Application 'Camera' closed." And then the usual process of continuous reboot started to occur while connected to the PC itself.

Well, it looks like something else than this thread is about. You can try to reflash the device:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware
Maybe you should leave it on the charger, while leaving it off, for a while first, so your battery is charged.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
So how common is this problem?

I got my N900 earlier and it had this issue, so I took it back in and got another one and even this one suffers from the same thing!

I think I'm going to try and get a third one since I expect that something this expensive should work properly...

Originally Posted by warpstalker View Post
So how common is this problem?

I got my N900 earlier and it had this issue, so I took it back in and got another one and even this one suffers from the same thing!

I think I'm going to try and get a third one since I expect that something this expensive should work properly...
Apperently about 20 percent of the production units are like this. The last I have heard is that it is an issue with the Omap3 processor and relatively new Linux kernels. The droid also suffer from this bug.

Hey guys, some good news finally!!! I tried to flash my device and Aloha! It worked. I've been using my N900 for 3 hours now. So far no reboots, working absolutely fine. So I guess the issue for me was with the Maemo OS. Anyone facing this continuous reboot issue, try to follow the instructions given in http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware to flash the device.
Thanks to everyone (especially bsving) who had the patience to answer each of my questions.