Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Not only do I think its a good idea to help new people but I almost left ITT the first time I was told to just go search and find the answer my self. This is something the community has needed for a long time. I personally think anyone who really doesn't want to help new people should just stay away from that site. Just my idea.
Agreed; it'll be easier to mainly disregard the newbie noise if it's in a different site instead of the newbie forum on this site. Is this slated to be a de facto replacement for the newbie forum, or will it only be taking some of the traffic? (And if so, what rule-of-thumb is to be used to sort what posts belong to which?)

(I like to help newbs (when they need help), but feel it's better for me to duck a lot of stuff in the newbie forum entirely; I'll meet up with anyone actually asking interesting or new questions eventually anyway, but I maintain lower blood pressure, and the forums are less scary for newbs. Win-win!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by gatonero View Post
I'm one of the "relative" new members. Until today I didn't post one message, but I used the search button a lot of times with varying success. Example: To get informations how to install kde, plenty threads with several solutions. Which is to prefer? Informations, which repository setting to use with diablo, try it by Yourself, horrible.

So I looked into the wiki and I edited there some articles (little content, but links to forum postings regarding kde). All in all the wiki is in a poor condition. Wouldn't it be nice, if there would be a well supported wiki?

Another forum, another search button, another never ending postings?

First off congrats on your first post. It was a good one I agree that the wiki is a great tool but alot of people don't use it, some because they don't know how, others because they want everything to go to maemo.org wiki which is also in great need of work. I try to add things when I have times but really it takes alot of people to keep a wiki upto date.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

I like the idea to a degree. I'd spend time there. Often I see enormous threads with tones of technical information that is really overwhelming to read through.

Not only do I think its a good idea to help new people but I almost left ITT the first time I was told to just go search and find the answer my self. This is something the community has needed for a long time. I personally think anyone who really doesn't want to help new people should just stay away from that site. Just my idea.
Thanks for that, you've put it really well. Perhaps one of the rules on Tablet Scene ought to be a ban on "why don't you use search?" posts... ;-)

But really, was Tablet Scene the best name? To me, scene = warez
Reggie and I went through a LOT of possible names, but they were all either taken or difficult to spell or difficult to pronounce or otherwise unsuitable for a general audience.

We thought this name was simple, friendly, short, easy to spell, and implied a sense of community.

It may change if the maemo platform changes, for example if it becomes more than just tablets, but for the moment this is the best we could come up with... :-)

Originally Posted by gatonero View Post
So I looked into the wiki and I edited there some articles (little content, but links to forum postings regarding kde). All in all the wiki is in a poor condition. Wouldn't it be nice, if there would be a well supported wiki?
Some ITT forum members (for example GeneralAntilles and others) have put a lot of work into getting the wiki in a better condition, and there is a lot of good info on there. IMHO its problem though is that it doesn't have a target audience, some of the articles are aimed at new users while others require a lot of technical knowledge. Perhaps it ought to be split into two sections like ITT and Tablet Scene?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
I'll stay away... I like helping newbies... but I don't like repeating myself 300 times..If i've answered the same question dozens of times already (or seen it answered dozens of times) I'd just ignore the post if I am not allowed to say "Use Search".. Which may cause another problem.. If someone posts on your Tablet Scene and all the so-called 'experts' answering people are tired of answering that question they may just not answer.. meaning the newbies; instead of getting of mean "search it" answer; will get no answer.. and still feel bummed and quit.

Good luck with it though.. if it provides help to a couple people should be worth it..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Aachen, Germany
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Some ITT forum members (for example GeneralAntilles and others) have put a lot of work into getting the wiki in a better condition, and there is a lot of good info on there. IMHO its problem though is that it doesn't have a target audience, some of the articles are aimed at new users while others require a lot of technical knowledge. Perhaps it ought to be split into two sections like ITT and Tablet Scene?
A well supportes wiki on Tablet Scene would be great

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'll stay away... I like helping newbies... but I don't like repeating myself 300 times..If i've answered the same question dozens of times already (or seen it answered dozens of times) I'd just ignore the post if I am not allowed to say "Use Search".. Which may cause another problem.. If someone posts on your Tablet Scene and all the so-called 'experts' answering people are tired of answering that question they may just not answer.. meaning the newbies; instead of getting of mean "search it" answer; will get no answer.. and still feel bummed and quit.
Like the Ubuntu fora?

/me ducks.

Edit: Let me add: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Unfortunately, it's hard to recommend this to the people who need it without being a "jerk", and if I'm going to be a "jerk", I may as well be a jerk, and not point them at useful resources. But everyone ought to read it and think about it, anyway, and it would be nice to have a reading comprehension test on it as part of the registration process .

Last edited by Benson; 2008-08-05 at 17:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I am one of those new members also.

Working on buying a N800 and have been looking around here to get some insight as to what I should expect.

Now, instead of looking for information on one site, the administration is asking us to frequent two sites for the information now.

Guess I am just a little confused there, and yes I have read the reasons for this move.

I know Reggie from Cliesource IE 1src and have a lot of respect there for him but this move is bewildering to me.

Are there enough members here to support two sites?

Have not seen the kind of traffic here when I visit to support this idea.

For me, being a newbie to the internet Tablet, you are maing things more difficult for me big time.

Thank you.

David

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
The search button in either forum should give results from both sites. And think having a different sub department on ITT for the newbies is a better idea. I like helping and also i like the latest hacks, it would be double the work to do both.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post

Good luck with it though.. if it provides help to a couple people should be worth it..
I don't think you have to type the whole answer out but if you what it is you can search it for someone and give them the link to the first post that answered it. The only problem with that is some anwsers get diluted but other stuff so I find its best to just tell them the anwser again.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Tags
newbies, tablet scene