Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Yes, depending on how the autostart file is set up.

Can you show me your autostart file?
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
samhogue: You can add the processor setting stuff to the little maemo menu, that would probably be the simplest. Just add two lines at the bottom of /home/user/.maemo-menu

Code:
CPU Performance:sudo cpu-perform-mode
CPU On-Demand:sudo cpu-ondemand-mode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's a post listing a bunch of services you can shut down to get more memory and speed stuff up. If you're only interested in running Debian apps, there are probably a lot of things on this list you can kill. If you want to run Maemo apps, you have to pick and choose a little more carefully. It is probably worth doing some trial-and-error and reporting to this thread on your results. If we can get a safe list of services to stop that will improve things, I'll add it to a new version and release it.

Just a note; our Debian chroot apps depend on some of these services, too. For instance, if you use bluetooth, you don't want to kill btcond, obexsrv or bluez-utils. If you use Maemo Mapper, you probably don't want to kill libgpsbt or gpsdriver. And you almost certainly don't want to kill esd if you use audio, since Debian audio depends on it too.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-08 at 06:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
This is cool!

Good work qole!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Update! Version 0.2.0:

switch-lxde-0.2.0-1_armel.deb

Shutting down more maemo services makes Debian apps noticeably more responsive. I stayed fairly safe, so maemo apps still seem to run fine, including the browser and mplayer.

I have a bigger ~/.maemo-menu file. If you already had that file, the new one is named ~/.maemo-menu.new and you can either copy stuff from it or just move it. Or just "rm .maemo-menu" before installing this new version.

First post updated.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is experimenting here. What happens when you kill these bluetooth-related services? Can you still tether a phone? Use a BT headset? What do you lose?

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/bluez-utils stop
sudo /etc/init.d/obexsrv stop
EDIT: perhaps "noticably more responsive" was just my imagination? Any comments or time trials?

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-09 at 16:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm curious to see if anyone else is experimenting here. What happens when you kill these bluetooth-related services? Can you still tether a phone? Use a BT headset? What do you lose?

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/bluez-utils stop
sudo /etc/init.d/obexsrv stop
Stopping bluez-utils stops bluetooth connectivity fullstop. Stopping obexsrv (and this is my presumption) probably won't let you send or recieve files over bluetooth.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
How can I change my Desktop image? As for right click it just shows the applications and the desktops not the desktop settings. I've also searched for the configuration files without any sucess. Thanks for your help.

hi qole,

I am a statistician and know more about lemons than linux, so please bare with me . I have installed debian lxde on my nokia n800 by following your instructions from the other thread. Open office proved to be useful to me . thanks to you.
I use 'r-project for statistical computing' for my research. It is also available for debian linux with ARM processor via following link,

how should i install this .deb file? apps manager says format not supported and chroot says ' E: Couldn't find package r-base '

I have tried it by renaming, giving the full path ( /media/mmc2/r-base.deb) but its no use.

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE to install R on debian lxde on nokia n800?

please please please help.

Last edited by amrutrajgore; 2009-02-23 at 15:01.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It's easy - easier than learning r (or any other stat package)!
In your lxde menu you are going to find the "synaptic" program, that is a package manager, which installs or deletes specific packages and their software dependencies.
You first update its software catalog by pushing its first button "reload" (should be like that, I have the Italian version so in English it might be different).
After a longish update, click the rightgmost button "search" (or "find"?) and look for r-base.
When found, click on the little square near its name and select "install package" or some similar command.
Then, resorting to the button bar, push "commit changes" (or "apply" the equivalent command), then probably OK again, then your package will be downloaded from the internet and installed.
You already know r starts from a terminal window, I'm sure you do.

Well, let me know how it goes. You could do everything from the command line, too, but maybe synaptic is easier and can show you the thousands of available packages!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
thank you for your reply "debernardis".
I tried installing R-core just like you said everything goes fine till it fails to install 9 of the 63 files( 63 because of the support files. dependencies, i guess). It says it needs 158 MB of free space which i have on my memory card where debian is installed. Do i need to have that much space on my device? It will take an N810 for that.

Sorry for the late reply. my macbook crashed. thanks to not buying their stupid warranty i am out 300 bucks.

Last edited by amrutrajgore; 2009-03-02 at 16:11.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian, lxde, replacement