Active Topics

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE
Mine work just fine but I can not close the application I have to kill the application.

To close the Gaim Application, you have to go to Gaim \ Buddies \ Sign off. This will sign you off of the Gaim Application. The Wifi connection will still be active.

Last edited by Arjun; 2009-01-21 at 18:30.

Fidibus,
Why aren't you using the Application Manager to install Gaim?

Hi BanditRider,

because I would like to understand the Nokia 770 2006 and Linux as a Linux Newbie:
as one can work as roots, as one uses the 1 Gb card better with partion, as one works with linux instructs, as one installs software and so on
because of the comment of jurop88
Fidibus, you have to look for packages with *armel.deb extension, due to the diversity in binaries from IT 2055 and IT2006. BTW, it has not been Nokia related and for this reason packages (probably) will be compatible from IT2006 to (an eventual) IT 2007
and because one must train oneself
because it installed Linux and not Windows
greetings

Fidibus

Can someone assist me? I download the GAIM .deb file, but when i try to run it, it says it's zero(k) and it doesn't run. help please. i am a 770 and linuz newbie. thanks.

You need to learn about repositories.
Might I suggest the repository page in the maemo.org wiki:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationRepositories

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Has anyone managed to get the Gaim meanwhile (Sametime) client working in any environment? I can't, and could sure use some guidance...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Has anyone managed to get the Gaim meanwhile (Sametime) client working in any environment? I can't, and could sure use some guidance...
Are you referring to using meanwhile only on the 770 or via GAIM on the desktop? I've been using meanwhile/GAIM for Notes chat for years and it's quite simple to set up. It's a matter of starting Notes and going to File->Preferences->Location Preferences and select the Servers tab. It will list your Notes Instant Messaging server. You then use that (only the server name, not the stuff after the slashes) to configure GAIM. You can also double-check that they use the default port of 1533 by selecting the Instant Messaging tab (in the Notes preferences).
If you're having problems on the 770 I'll check and see if I can connect from work tomorrow.

Larry

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The 770 only, sorry for not making that clear. I had the server info and entered it, and have tried every possible configuration setting, but still cannot connect. Port settings are correct.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
Are you referring to using meanwhile only on the 770 or via GAIM on the desktop? I've been using meanwhile/GAIM for Notes chat for years and it's quite simple to set up. It's a matter of starting Notes and going to File->Preferences->Location Preferences and select the Servers tab. It will list your Notes Instant Messaging server. You then use that (only the server name, not the stuff after the slashes) to configure GAIM. You can also double-check that they use the default port of 1533 by selecting the Instant Messaging tab (in the Notes preferences).
If you're having problems on the 770 I'll check and see if I can connect from work tomorrow.

Larry
Can you please provide step by step direction to use sametime with the Nokia 770. I already have Gaim set up and it work well with Yahoo Protocol. I have downloaded Sametime-Meanwhile protocol as well but have not been able to configure it the right way yet to have it work.

Last edited by Arjun; 2009-01-21 at 18:31.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The 770 only, sorry for not making that clear. I had the server info and entered it, and have tried every possible configuration setting, but still cannot connect. Port settings are correct.
Ok, I tried it here at work and it worked the first time out of the box. To detail what I did:

EDIT: This only worked the first time! As soon as I closed GAIM and re-opened it I was never able to login again. I deleted the account and changed options to no avail. Perhaps I'll see if I can recompile the 2.0 version...

1) From the command line as root I did:
apt-get install maemo-gaim-protocol-jabber maemo-gaim-protocol-meanwhile maemo-gaim-data maemo-gaim

2) After the install start GAIM and select the meanwhile protocol for a new account

3) Enter your Notes login and password and optionally click the remember password box

4) Select the Protocol Options tab and enter the fully-qualified server name and verify the port is set correctly (my server uses the default of 1533)

5) Click the Hide client identity box

6) Click Save

7) Click Sign on

I apologize if the instructions are pretty basic since I really didn't have to do anything special to make it work.

Larry

Last edited by lbattraw; 2007-01-08 at 18:04.