See TA-t3; if you get one of those radios, you can bang your head on it while sitting on your couch, instead of walking to the nearby walls

Just kidding...

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
TA-t3, we seem to have the same pet peeves about form and function, or lack thereof. Peeves make great pets, don't they? ;-)

I like the FM radio built into iRiver's SlimX iMP-550 and iMP-900 MP3/CD players. (I own both.) Unfortunately out of production, but you can still find the 550 on eBay. Definitely the geek's choice in that device category, and eminently packable at 13.7mm slim. You can preset 20 channels via the tethered remote, whose cord also serves as the antenna.

Also discontinued but worth the search is the Sony SRS-T77 portable stereo speaker. It folds to 1" thick with the exact same footprint as a CD jewel case, roughly the same length as the Nokia tablets. Pivoting neodymium tweeters and a tuned bass port (don't laugh) yield surprisingly good sound for its size. Works on AC or 4xAA batteries.

I have 3 radios. 1 BT, 1 Wifi, and 1 FM. All in my N800 =) Oh! And an AM/FM in my car. Make that 4

It's all about marketing and cost. Even if an AM/FM radio could have been included in the 770 and 800 for $1 more per device, that might be more than the cost-analysis guys would allow.

Adding buttons to the devices that made for easier gaming would have done three things. One, the device would be perceived as less professional by many potential customers. Two, that's extra R&D and a few extra cents added cost to the device. Three, since the device was obviously intended to be a gaming device, customers would complain when the device didn't perform well enough to play the games they ported to it.

As for other devices, like mp3 players, clock radios and such, perception makes a big difference. If you look at two clock radios, and one is larger, with larger speakers, you probably assume the larger one will sound better and have more features, everything else being equal. Companies have probably spent a lot of money getting focus groups together to compare different designs and see which ones people react more favorably to.

Originally Posted by bobpaul View Post
I have 3 radios. 1 BT, 1 Wifi, and 1 FM. All in my N800 =) Oh! And an AM/FM in my car. Make that 4
While technically correct, you violate the spirit of the discussion. Negative points for you!

Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
It's all about marketing and cost. Even if an AM/FM radio could have been included in the 770 and 800 for $1 more per device, that might be more than the cost-analysis guys would allow.
Well, the irony of the whole thread is of course that it turns out the N800 actually has an FM radio included..