Poll: Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?
Poll Options
Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Wow! So my feelings that this is a developer dominated site are totally off base.
I wouldn't go quite that far. You're only seeing responses from people intrigued by your thread title, so it's not a good representative sample.

But yeah, there are certainly plenty of various skills and motives and interests represented here, so we have a decent mix I think.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo/Linux Expert?

I was just wondering - I understand that this forum began as a hive for the developers and enthusiasts - but now with a mainstream device in the N900, there's going to be (or is?) a growth of N900 users/fans who are simply just that.

Just N900 fans (or Maemo/tablet fans) who just enjoy using it, but (as Andrew Flegg put it) probably don't know what a command line is or how to recompile the kernel.

Me - I'm just a tablet/phone user. I just know what features I'd like to see in phones and annoyances that I don't. I read up now and again on Symbian related issues but never delving into the overly technical side of things.
First off, welcome aboard Jay

In my case I'm a 50 something mechanical contractor who has been turning the concepts of some rather brilliant people from Brussels to Buenos Aires and Berkeley to Boston into components for over 30 years now. For me writing code is like welding. Something that I might sometime do but would rather that someone else did it. I am neither a coder nor a welder by trade or formal training.

I was attracted to the tablets because of their hardware configuration and battery life. I continue to use some of the same devices over two years later because of this community. Everything I could imagine that this hardware could do, I have learned and accomplished with Maemo by reading, asking, and interacting with first the members of Internet Tablet Talk and now maemo.org.

Enjoy yourself. I sure have.