Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Especially considering the foundation that you were working on kept getting moved, I think you've done great. You made extra effort to get things out to the public and are highly communicative. On the down side, you haven't gotten Nokia to do all you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
So, I'm also distmaster for N900. However, the day I became distmaster, I haven't focused on any other hardware than 770, N8x0 and N900. There was the Maemo-on-OMAP project, which was more of assistance to a TI contact to make it easier for developers so they could develop for Maemo without getting a N900. Worthwhile cause to help get developers towards the platform?
Absolutely. And the entirety of your answer satisfies me somewhat.

I understand that you feel like that and why. However, we're here now. And I'm wondering how we should go forward - how would you like to see your N8x0 in 3 months?
The fact that you even bother to ask that question from a user is, itself one of the CORE problems I've had with my experience on the N8x0 with Nokia--that is, the fact that a supposedly OPEN device (which it turned out, wasn't so open after all) never got that questions asked very much at all by Nokia or the developers at Maemo.

So, you're already improving my opinion by asking.

Where would I like to see my N8x0 in three months? I would like to see at LEAST a rudimentary but usable operating system that I can use for even just at least simply GUI and CONSOLE applications. A full and updated kernel with a very minimal distribution and optional installable services is worth more to me than fancy shmancy GUI. A useful minimalistic device within three months is better than a pretty one that can't even install third party apps the way Mer ended up. (I was very disappointed when I couldn't find ANYTHING to install.)

I think kernel code was probably the least worked area in Mer.
That kills me. Why??

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
They actually advertised that? Wow.
After doing some digging around with archive.org's WayBack Machine, I think I figured out where I kept remember that from. It wasn't, in fact, a Nokia ad. It might as well have been one, though. It was a magazine article and extolled the virtues of Nokia's brand new N800 Linux based open-source device. And being based on open-source, it was future-proof. So I stand corrected on that. On the other hand, Nokia DID give that impression, waving around that the N800 was open-source as they did.

At least with the kernel, there's talented people working on patches to update things. We actually stayed at old kernel in Mer as the newer kernels would loose features for the users, so updating the kernel wasn't a priority.. That's changing now.
Good God, man! You have my overwhelming gratitude for this shift in priorities.

There's a tiny bit of masochism in me and all the work I do, isn't there?
To be a coder, you have to be. Especially if you've ever done anything in assembler. I get the feeling you have.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That kills me. Why??
I'm not Stskeeps, but I think the answer is the same as the rest of Mer, really, lack of capable people with time to carry things on to the fullest.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:

Tags
distmaster, review, stskeeps