Notices

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Can anyone point me to a NIT Video Conferencing Howto. I have not played with this at all before.

Also anyone out there willing to work with me to test this. Possibly a newbie who wants to work it out from the above requested howto and has a little time to IM and experiment.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
i don't think the NiT is capable of video conferencing. Sorry to disappoint

Are you sure.

I remember seeing a vid of it on youtube when the N810 came out one of the bloggers had it doing vid conferencing across a table.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Currently the n800/810 has 2 video options:

1. Chat via gtalk with another table.(video on gtalk is not supported on pc!!)

2. Via gizmo. Just download gizmo client on your pc and the you can video chat with the internet tablet.

Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Cool. Thanks sachin007. Ill see if I can find a web cam for my linux box. (To test with. )

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Im not sure if gizmo for linux supports video. But i for sure used it on my windows machine. The quality is not stellar.... but something is better than nothing

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Video calls also be done over SIP via h.263/h.263+ video. There are a variety of PC clients. I've used Eyebeam and Linphone. At this point it offers the best quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post:
Sorry to resurrect this oldish post - but I can't get video voer SIP to work. I have NOT behind a firewall. PC and Tablet have public IP addresses. Both are registered with ekiga.net (but obviouslty different accounts). I can call both ways. Voice works fine (PCMA codec). But video is no codec. Video between two tablets works fine. Supposingly, H263 is both in ekiga as well as N810, but still no video. If I click on the camera symbol on the N810, the Ekiga logs show a re-initialization of the audio codecs, but no video.

Anyone have any ideas? Where is the official list of supported video-conference codecs for the N810?

Martin

The Following User Says Thank You to m_stolle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
In playing with video between my N800 and my laptop using SIP I found that I needed to have H263 and H263+ enabled on my Asterisk box; for some reason having just one or other resulted in a no-go. Now, I understand that Asterisk has some codec negotiation problems (i.e. half the time it doesn't negotiate at all between clients that really don't like each other), but it seemed to work when I had both on. I also had to make sure that I had video over sip support enabled in the Asterisk config.

One other strange problem that I've run into though is that while I can see the video from the NiT camera on the laptop, the video from the laptop doesn't display on the NiT... there's some funky colours and dancing pixels where the video should be, so I know it's trying, but there's no actual picture for some reason; I don't have a different web cam to try unfortunately, so it could just be that the laptop is squirly some how...

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Like the others have said, SIP video works fine if the PBX supports it. Your SIP provider may not so mileage may vary. I have my own Trixbox/Asterisk server and have tested video with the N800 and various SIP clients on PCs. It works peachy although there aren't many other people to connect to outside of users on my own PBX. Video conferencing has been around a long time and never took off but it does work. I hear that the few video phones out there like the Grandstream work well with the N8xx over SIP.