Active Topics

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
How about including IP in the Personal Data Monitor Widget? Combined solution would save screenspace.

I edited the thread link. Not sure if that was the name though.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Last edited by Soulfarmer; 2009-10-03 at 08:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulfarmer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
fiferboy, I noticed that you've been filling in the Depends field in debian/control manually so I've fixed it up a little to get the correct libraries it's using in there automatically: http://qwerty12.qole.org/personal-ip...s_0.2-2.tar.gz

(I do have an ulterior motive in doing so - I've written a simple brightness applet and was hoping you could look it over and tell me if I've ****ed anything up [on IRC, of course ]?)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Enhancement requests:
  • Display the netmask (CIDR notanion is fine and uses minimal space).
  • Display the default gateway.
  • Display the public IP address (it can be discovered with libnice).
  • Display IPv6 details if available (and supported, still unclear on that).

I would provide a screenshot, but this applet will not run in scratchbox. ConIC does not work there, which makes it pretty tricky for me to develop
If anyone has any tips for simulating connections/disconnections in scratchbox they'd be very much appreciated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by lma View Post
If anyone has any tips for simulating connections/disconnections in scratchbox they'd be very much appreciated.
icd(2) doesn't appear to be available in nokia-binaries... I'd just rip apart libconic to listen to a GConf key instead, or something

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking about removing the title field and putting hte IP there to save space. There is no reason it should display the word "IP" three times (including the icon).

I think keeping it as a separate app from the dataplan monitor is a good idea, though, as some people will never use GPRS data and won't want to install that app. I will see what I can do about the other requests.

Thanks for the idea, qole

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Keep this app separate, please....

It would be very cool to show all active IP addresses (except 127.0.0.1 of course) in case you have USB and/or BT networking as well. And if there's some way to find the "public" IP address, that would be cool too...

And I agree, no title is necessary here, although if there are multiple IP addresses it would be useful to know which interface has that address.

If you could discover the network name and put that on, it would be great.

wlan (adhoc1): 169.57.124.23

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Any ideas on what the icon should look like? I was thinking a globe with a magnifying glass with the letters IP in the magnifying glass, I think that makes logical sense

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
IP Address Icons

Any Suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-10-04 at 18:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
I like it, though I can't say which size is preferable due to me not having the device.

Though I was suggesting if you don't have it already, that tapping on the icon would refresh the IP address (say you disconnected from one network and connected to another). Which is pretty common on a wireless network at a University.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I'm just building 0.2-3 with joshua.maverick's new icon (thanks!). It also addresses the size issue by putting everything on one line. For a future version I will try to add some of the other suggestions here.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:

Tags
desktop, fremantle, ip address, widget