Notices

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi everyone.

I'm proud to announce adflashblock-css's release to extras-devel. A lot of people have used my last package, Adblock Plus, and some have had very mixed results due to the way microb works with extensions. I decided to go another route and to provide ad blocking through CSS which should be a lot less... random.

I also added a form of flashblock, also done through CSS. When a flash animation is loaded on a page, it will be replaced with a grey square telling you that it's flash and if you click, the flash animation will be loaded and played.

The installation will take effect after you close all open browser windows.

Enjoy, I hope.

EDIT: Just promoted to extras-testing. Give it a shot.

Last edited by zerojay; 2010-02-10 at 16:30.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Nice to hear sth. new from the adblock frontier. I was one of the unsuccessful installers of adblock plus and appreciate a new adblock development.
Does addflashblock also work with the same blocking lists as adblock or do its list still need to be written?
Do you think it is quite save to try it now for normal use or would you suggest use only for programmers?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by raily View Post
Nice to hear sth. new from the adblock frontier. I was one of the unsuccessful installers of adblock plus and appreciate a new adblock development.
Does addflashblock also work with the same blocking lists as adblock or do its list still need to be written?
Do you think it is quite save to try it now for normal use or would you suggest use only for programmers?
It doesn't use any adblock blocking lists at all, so it's probably not as comprehensive as it could be, but at least it should work for one and all without any issues. At a later date, I might add host-based blocking to this package as well.

It's perfectly safe for anyone to use.

ok, and how do I block ads? you explained how it works with flash content, e.g. you have to allow the flash to run manually (assume it remembers the selection). But how to block google-ads (text based) and images?

Originally Posted by raily View Post
ok, and how do I block ads? you explained how it works with flash content, e.g. you have to allow the flash to run manually (assume it remembers the selection). But how to block google-ads (text based) and images?
Just install the package and those should all pretty much go away.

I installed it and it blocks flash on youtube and when I click it, it plays.

But when I visit www.spon.de nothing is blocked and this site is overloladed with ads. Do you see what I mean? Can you add functionality to manually block those ads?

You can edit the userContent.css file yourself to block those. You can find it at /home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css. Once you find some formulas that block them, send them over to me and I'll add it in an update for the package.

Also, if/when I get around to adding hosts-based blocking on top of the CSS, it should be a lot better.

I'll be putting out another update tonight that incorporates a lot more rules into the CSS file which should block a lot more ads. Hopefully enough to not need hosts-based blocking... I just hope it's not too much and microb starts slowing down.

Last edited by zerojay; 2010-02-08 at 14:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Does adflashblock-css prevent ads from loading (thus saving your monthly bandwidth) or does just not display them?

Originally Posted by rooted View Post
Does adflashblock-css prevent ads from loading (thus saving your monthly bandwidth) or does just not display them?
I believe flash isn't downloaded until you click on the video to unblock it. As for the rest, CSS is just hiding them.. though when I get around to adding hosts-based blocking to this as well, it should keep most ads from being downloaded at all.

So has anyone else out there tried it? Is it working for you? Ideas?

Tags
adblock, flashblock, microb