Active Topics

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
And, this coming from someone who had to bear with an IP rotation ISP for a couple of years, it can be pretty harmful, too.

You wouldn't want to know how many forums "I" was banned from just because some total stranger - who happened to have been yesterday's owner of my current IP address - had misbehaved.
As a moderator on another forum i agree that IP bans do not work.
Short term user name bans seem to work which can lead to a permanent ban for repeated infractions. I assume mods have access to IP logs and can see where new members are coming from. (ie banned users trying to return)

The Following User Says Thank You to pthomas22 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist_(epithet)

Hmmmm... outside of the formal definition, this term may easily be interpreted as an insult...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
From OP:

I interpret this as covering PMs too.
As it should: Spam, personal attacks, and what have you can and are communicated over PM and this should also not be considered appropriate.

Now before some self appointed forum lawyer starts spouting off about private communications and what not, please understand this: Moderators usually do not have access to others PM's and an administrator will not grant that access unless a member specifically requests them to because they are receiving SPAM, or BS via PM.

A bunch of neo nazi, pro life, bible thumpin'. Pygmy Eskimo members can have all the private conversations they want between themselves. Their plans to rule the world and impromptu circle jerks can go on undisturbed unless someone reports them. Someone else can not report them unless they received an unwanted PM inviting them to participate or attacking them for not.

@ Flandry:

At this time... this is a good thing.

It is a shame that our previous self control is no longer effective and this task must now be undertaken.
Sadly, at this time I believe it is unavoidable.

SLN member # 009

Ok, fascistoid any better? What is the punishment for posting without searching first?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
That could be read as being considerate and helpful depending on what post it was responding to.
True, context is important. Moderators will take it into consideration.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I don't think there are bible quotes that are racist or hateful.
Actually, you can find some in the Old Testament. And even harmless phrases can be harmful in certain contexts.

So in the end, sometimes we have to exercise human judgment.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-21 at 04:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by pthomas22 View Post
Can we have a rule to prevent power posting?
ie a post with just a smiley just to get the post count up
Perhaps (probably?) I am missing something but in what context would there even be some benefit to someone "power posting" on T.M.O.? There aren't any benefits to higher post counts that I can think of.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
In response to several comments past and future: obviously these are guidelines and will not be enforced to the letter every moment of everyday. Not only is that not practical but it's not desirable as there will always be some judgement involved and the idea is to promote a constructive environment, not to make everyone move in lockstep (or goose-step as some like to claim any time a hint of order is maintained by "artificial" means).

The point is to clarify what is and isn't appropriate so that the proper response can be determined by any moderator, thus enabling a team of moderators to act more consistently and with less overhead (overhead which you don't see because it is mulled over in the moderator forum). For this, a more detailed policy is needed than has existed, and this is it.

Originally Posted by pthomas22 View Post
Can we have a rule to prevent power posting?
ie a post with just a smiley just to get the post count up
That's covered under "spamming".

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Quoted from original post:

And I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not since there are lots of racist and hateful parts in the bible.
I think he thought you were referring to a different clause. Signatures are subject to the same guidelines as forum posts--all communications on t.m.o. are covered--and therefore signatures that are inflammatory or offensive are indeed subject to moderation. The source of a quote doesn't inherently make it anything, however.

Edit: Texrat covered this already.
Regarding post count: it does contribute to "Karma". Never underestimate the ability of people to derive pleasure from the strangest of statistics, either.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-06-21 at 04:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Perhaps (probably?) I am missing something but in what context would there even be some benefit to someone "power posting" on T.M.O.? There aren't any benefits to higher post counts that I can think of.
I don't know about smileys, but as far as I know t.m.o has a minimum word limit when posting. I think it's ten. I once tried to post "Good luck" in a thread (not to get my post count up..I was just wishing him luck ) and it wouldn't let me. So smileys only shouldn't be possible..I think.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I don't know about smileys, but as far as I know t.m.o has a minimum word limit when posting. I think it's ten. I once tried to post "Good luck" in a thread (not to get my post count up..I was just wishing him luck ) and it wouldn't let me. So smileys only shouldn't be possible..I think.
Is the limit restricted to an original post or does the word count include a quote?
I will test it and see.
Personally I'm against minimum word counts precisely for the reason you mention

edit: tested and it does not include the quote.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy