Active Topics

I'm looking at what options I have for the following application requirements I have for the n810. I've filled in what I know. And I'm looking for suggestions. I did have an n800 at one point fyi.

Media:

1. Music and video organization and playback: Canola 2 (any better option?)

2. Youtube viewing: ?

3. Podcast download and viewing: ?

Communication:
1. IRC, Aim, Yahoo primarily: Pidgin (is the yahoo support coming back? ETA?)

2. Phone communication: Skype
Does a bluetooth headset work at all with the n810 with Skype?

3. Weather satellite viewing? Specifically an application that would allow viewing of satellite animation for tracking of storm fronts, etc. ?

4. Map location aware application using GPS. Ala. iphone type apps that can show restaurants, shops, etc in your immediate area. ?

Productivity:
1. A simple text editor. Conboy and Abiword seem the only options.

2. Simple photo and paint applications. My needs are basic. I'd like something to create simple sketches and change file format types, compress images, maybe simple color correction. ?

Games:

Tetris application
Bejeweled

Really the only two games I'd play. But I'm open for suggestions to games with similar gameplay.

I must admit I'd gladly pay a couple dollars or more for more refined apps specifically developed for the INT platform.

From IRC:

Youtube: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/digiaatscene/

Seems Canola2 supports Podcasts downloads but gpodder was also recommended. How is Canola2 support for Podcasts?

Originally Posted by Nichod View Post
Tetris application
OS2008 has tetris pre-installed

Bejeweled
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/battlegweled/

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Multimedia:

For YouTube, either Digia @Scene, or mYTube:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/mytube/

Music:
Conola2 is good, but pretty slow. I just use the default Media Player or YouAmp and arrange my music in actual folders in my 8GB Card on my PC so I can just upload to the folder and go.

Podcast? No idea. I don't do podcasts.

Communication:

Instant Messaging & Chat, your only real choices are Fring, Pidgin and RTCOMM (default chat client). With the help of munkey261, I posted a "temporary" fix for Pidgin & RTCOMM for Yahoo!. Every other service seems to work fine. Aside from that, Fring is your only other option for now.

EDIT: If you wish to get Yahoo! for Pidgin and RTCOMM (beta) to work, follow my instructions here.

Phone Communication, Skype works well with the default mic on the device but I don't know about using a bluetooth headset. There are usually instructions to get that kinda stuff working by searching the forums or simply asking for help.

Weather Satellite Viewing? No. Best bet, go to www.weatherchannel.com, www.accuweather.com or your favorite weather website for that. No apps like that yet.

Map location App, not really, but with Maemo Mapper and hybrid maps with labels, you can see that kinda stuff. Can't say the database for that kinda thing is too big yet, but hey, you never know. I have no use for that, so I wouldn't know.

Productivity:

Simple Text Editor, Windows Notepad-like? If so, Leafpad is your best bet. If you mean "Word" type programs, Abiword.

Image program, there's supposed to be an image manipulation program for the N8x0, but I dunno if it's maintained anymore. Try looking it up in the Application Manager. I can't at the moment.

That's about all I know. Good luck!

Jesse~

Last edited by jperez2009; 2009-06-27 at 23:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Call me boring, but I use almost all of the default apps for everything you mention.

What's so wrong with the default Notes app for a simple text editor?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Notes? Yuck it uses html which is totally not what you want when editing system files - nano and leafpad are the best bets.

I just use the web browsers for flash videos. Youtube for instance change the URL from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=********** to http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=**********

Mediabox is an alternative to canola. Kmplayer is alright too.

Wayfinder's POI work fine even without an internet connection

Mypaint I think it's called and Xournal.

Get a memory card and reserve 1.5GB for EasyDeb Turbo-charged which has GIMP, Iceweasel/Firefox and OpenOffice installed by default.

Games...hex-a-hop and the GBA emulator. Search the downloads section and elsewhere

Weather not sure what you want but there is this.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by zerojay
What's so wrong with the default Notes app for a simple text editor?
HTML Encoding o;

Jesse~

The Following User Says Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...

Media:

1. Music and video organization and playback: Canola 2 (any better option?)
I predominantly use the built-in Media Player at this point. Canolo is a little big and I can't seem to get used to the UI of MediaBox.

3. Podcast download and viewing: ?
I so far use gPodder for downloading of podcasts. It's not perfect in any way shape or form but it's so far the 'best' I've found.
I listen to them via Media Player and I haven't found a video podcast that plays well on the N810 without modifying the downloaded file first. Which, yes, sucks.

Communication:
1. IRC, Aim, Yahoo primarily: Pidgin (is the yahoo support coming back? ETA?)
I use Pidgin. Using the Chinese (cn) server I have yahoo working well as well on it. For now.

2. Phone communication: Skype
Does a bluetooth headset work at all with the n810 with Skype?
I use Skype with a bluetooth headset and it works great.
The one I'm using is BlueAnt's Z9i but I would assume most bluetooth headsets would work fine.

Productivity:
1. A simple text editor. Conboy and Abiword seem the only options.
If you want just a simple one then I have found that I like QuickNote a lot.

Games:
I really like Bomberman, Numpty Physics and Pingus.

Maybe this helps, or not, but I posted a list of apps that I use and how they appear on the home screen, if they do:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29870
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-06-28 at 01:28.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Oh, right. Completely forgot about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
i was also wondering if there was an app that showed the moon phases for the week for the home applet screen