Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You wouldn't want to ask the folks around here. The N900 was billed as a pocket computer, that could also make phone calls.

Would love to see a tablet that also could make phone calls and the wording around it. Tablet with telephony? Big *** phone? Andre the Giant had a phone?
Could you imagine these people if somebody complains about the Galaxy Note features/bugs?

"It's a notepad that could also be used as a tablet/phone, you should not have bought it if you wanted a tablet or phone"

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Telephony is just another daemon running on our pocketable unix workstations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
So as it stands today, would you all wait for the Nexus Prime, or any of the other 'coming soon' phones with ICS? Or just go for something like the Galaxy S II, or even the Note? I've been limping along with a dumbphone and hauling my laptop with Ubunut/Mint/Debian on it, must get an upgrade soon.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
I don't want to doublepost just to bump the Note thread, but there'll be a livestream of it's "launch party" of sorts in an hour's time here -
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=7556

Hopefully they'll announce a final release date, information on carriers, etc etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to adamFsmith For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
So as it stands today, would you all wait for the Nexus Prime, or any of the other 'coming soon' phones with ICS? Or just go for something like the Galaxy S II, or even the Note? I've been limping along with a dumbphone and hauling my laptop with Ubunut/Mint/Debian on it, must get an upgrade soon.
Nexus Prime for me. Even with the other ICS phones scheduled for release they are still going to have skins and go through two or three companies for updates. For example, if I have a T-Mobile brand of the Samsung Galaxy S2 the updates go like this..

Google -> Samsung -> T-Mobile -> Me

With Nexus it goes Google -> Me

Though most smartphones and tablets out there aren't a proper substitute for a real workstation. Even with the N900 and iPad2 I still find myself having to use a laptop once in a while. Which is painful considering both it and my desktop are pretty old and getting sluggish when I work with large datasets.

However, it is nice being able to remote control my computer though. So I can work on my projects from say a bathroom on my iPad2 via Splashtop or whatever. I think Splashtop also has an Android app though I haven't been able to try it yet (waiting on the Nexus Prime).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Personally, I'm waiting for the NEXUS GALAXY (it's not called Nexus Prime, apparently, and it's not a long wait--apparently, it's coming very, very soon)... but I also an VERY interested in maybe getting a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 and/or an ASUS Transformer Prime. The ASUS Transformer Prime looks... OMIGOD.. amazing!!! Maybe, instead of the 7.7, I might consider the Galaxy Note--since I have an interest in the artistic aspects. VERY MUCH love! COME OUT WITH THIS STUFF, ALREADY, PEOPLE!!!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Samsung Galaxy Note review

What an excellent device, but no T-Mobile 3G , otherwise, this is close to a no-brainer.

I sure hope built-in styli become all the rage in 2012.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Personally, I'm waiting for the NEXUS GALAXY (it's not called Nexus Prime, apparently, and it's not a long wait--apparently, it's coming very, very soon)... but I also an VERY interested in maybe getting a Samsung Galaxy 7.7 and/or an ASUS Transformer Prime. The ASUS Transformer Prime looks... OMIGOD.. amazing!!! Maybe, instead of the 7.7, I might consider the Galaxy Note--since I have an interest in the artistic aspects. VERY MUCH love! COME OUT WITH THIS STUFF, ALREADY, PEOPLE!!!
Dayum... the Asus tablet does look impressive. When it is out I may have to rethink my platforms.

Thank you for clarifying the naming convention, I'm really leaning towards the Nexus Galaxy, but just wasn't sure if it would be worth the wait. As long as this wait isn't Q1 2012, I'm all in.

Looks like a confirmed 11/17 release in the UK (and 11/2 for the Galaxy Note): http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...s-tip-november

Still haven't seen a confirmed date for US, but I need more coffee...

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
So as it stands today, would you all wait for the Nexus Prime, or any of the other 'coming soon' phones with ICS? Or just go for something like the Galaxy S II, or even the Note?
Not counting tablets, to me the top Android units available or about to be released and key differences are (in no particular order):

1. Nexus - Vanilla ICS 4.0 but no removable storage.
2. Galaxy SII - Runs friggin' TouchWiz and Gingerbread 2.3 but will get ICS update. Gotta root to get Vanilla ICS.
3. Motorola RAZR - Again, non-standard Gingerbread 2.3 but will get ICS. Gotta root for ICS Vanilla. Beautiful metal and carbon fiber body. Removable storage but non-removable battery.

With with relatively minor differences in size, chipsets, etc. to me these 3 are roughy equal other than as noted above. Google around for full specs, videos, reviews and pick what you like best.,

I won't buy anything with no removable storage or battey and would still prefer a keyboard so I'll pass on all of these.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Agreed the removable storage may be a deal-breaker for some on the Nexus, and if ICS is a key, the rumored 'update' from Samsung won't be until Q2 2012 it seems.

I keep swinging back to look at the Galaxy Note, the specs on it are impressive and its benchmarks are nice as well. Getting a stylus back would be great, and they just announced the SDK will be released for the S-Pen for developers which could be way cool:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/w...n-third-party/

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy