Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
depreciate over years.
I'm rather sure I didn't get the meaning of your post at all, but nevertheless let me try: If you're saying that N(eo)900 with fremantle on it has no future, I want to ask you where's the future of your iPhone or android or even harmattan device? Is any of those getting support and updates even 4 years after rollout? Fremantle still supported by CSSU and seeing updates and bugfixes, and now even a port to a new hw platform aka Neo900.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
so, in reading dareaper's uninformed complaints, i see one very useful insight; dareaper distrusts this project.

first, i personally have full faith in the ethics and technical ability of several of the most heavily involved people, simply from their dedication over the last bajillion years.
i also really like the bald transparency of the price vs manufacturing costs, and the up-to-the-minute guesstimates instead of arbitrary numbers to be refined immediately before asking for the dough.

however, i think it might be good to have a prominent place for non-tech folks that specifically discusses things like volunteerism/compensation, costs/price, sales/profits, etc.
preferably with at least one pretty chart with soothing numbers, and phrases like 'labour of love' bandied about.

in general, i get the feeling that there are MANY folks who wont take the time to grok this project in its fullness, but are nevertheless excited about an n900++. grabbing some of those folks and getting them on board might be the difference between success and failure.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
oh and an extremely important question, will the usb port be much stronger than the one on n900 and will we get any guaranties that it wont fall of with normal use like on n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
oh and an extremely important question, will the usb port be much stronger than the one on n900 and will we get any guaranties that it wont fall of with normal use like on n900?
Top of the thread -> "Search this thread" button -> input box -> "USB" -> "Go".

Computer says yes.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
lm-tmo-tfy

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
really, could you bother to read, please?

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Introducing the Neo900 project - the first true successor for N900

And - that's our plan - it will have all the functionality you're used to from N900 plus sturdy USB (that won't fall off the PCB) with full OTG support,...

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
really, could you bother to read, please?
sorry, missed that one

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post

Nay....In fact..... it should come in my Family Size Bulk Econo-Pak of Rice Crispies...WITH the toy as well.

HUMOUR ASIDE ...I do believe that people expecting ANY advancement in maemo as a device line MUST come to SOME approximation of sanity.
the big boys (MS, Android, Iphone) have the corp. clout with tons of staff, resources, and user/buyer base that alone measures purchasing parts in monstrous bulk and as a consequence it becomes cheaper...then they produce a number of units AT LEAST in the 6 digit realm ...if not 7.
We DON'T HAVE THOSE NUMBERS ... as clearly as the voting shows...hence I believe we are lucky if we can get them is at the 700 EU guesstimate.
Nokia hasn't produced millions of N900 (less than 200.000 for me), it has paid for software development, it has build N900 when the hw was a top hw (and higher priced), it has paid for publicity, and finally it has had a discrete margin on sale price (about 700E).

So of course we need much more than 200 pre-paid orders to drop down prices at decent level (like 100-200E for board only and 300-350E for a full phone), but not certainly numbers with 5 or 6 zeros.

Last edited by Fabry; 2013-09-26 at 20:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
I'm rather sure I didn't get the meaning of your post at all, but nevertheless let me try: If you're saying that N(eo)900 with fremantle on it has no future, I want to ask you where's the future of your iPhone or android or even harmattan device? Is any of those getting support and updates even 4 years after rollout? Fremantle still supported by CSSU and seeing updates and bugfixes, and now even a port to a new hw platform aka Neo900.

/j
I am not an Apple's fan but iPhone 3GS has received all updates up to iOS 6.0, so a phone older (six months) than N900 until 2 months ago was yet fully supported.

Last edited by Fabry; 2013-09-26 at 20:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
I am not an Apple's fan but iPhone 3GS has received all updates up to iOS 6.0, so a phone older (six months) than N900 until 2 months ago was yet fully supported.
Let be honest, iOS 6 with many features not available on iPhone 3GS :
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5457
And many users have not updated to iOS 6 due to bugs and worse performance in iPhone 3GS, etc. Including some of my friends.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!