Posts: 17 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Davis, CA
Wow this is totally neat. The picture on the front facing camera looks a million times better through this than it did when I loaded up the "Mirror" program from extras-devel.

Just video chatted with my girlfriend... a description of the experience.

I could not initiate video chat with her. If I placed a google chat voice call to her, there was no interface to turn on the camera and it was just a basic audio call.

When I told her to initiate a video chat with me, she was confused because the google chat client on the N900 had not identified my resource as video chat enabled so I didn't have the little video icon next to my name.

I told her to do it anyway... I got a call with an interface different from the voice chat. There were buttons to turn on the front camera, mute the mic, and enable audio which turned on the speaker phone. Until I hit the button to turn on the webcam, she just saw my gtalk avatar. The sound was great and the picture of me on her end was great. Unfortunately the image I was getting from her was very garbled... I should have taken a screen shot. The image of herself on her end looked fine.

Another note is that the interface only worked in landscape mode, if i rotated my phone to portrait my camera image just went sideways. I used the kickstand to set the phone down on my desk and it worked really well.

Anyway, promising look of things to come.. exciting! Thanks for finding this and pointing it out!

J

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrox For This Useful Post:
WOW!

Gchat Video call on Mac os X (Safari) works to n900 over wifi.

BUT:

The video call must be initiated from the Mac. If initiated from n900, the video option does not appear.

When n900 is on 2.5G cell network, video seems to make the call unstable (probably not enough bandwidth).

The Following User Says Thank You to hraffle For This Useful Post:
i just tried making a video chat from my laptop running vista to my n900 and nothing happens. do you guys have any advice on how to get this to work?

The Following User Says Thank You to phase315 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jrox View Post
Wow this is totally neat. The picture on the front facing camera looks a million times better through this than it did when I loaded up the "Mirror" program from extras-devel.

Just video chatted with my girlfriend... a description of the experience.

I could not initiate video chat with her. If I placed a google chat voice call to her, there was no interface to turn on the camera and it was just a basic audio call.

When I told her to initiate a video chat with me, she was confused because the google chat client on the N900 had not identified my resource as video chat enabled so I didn't have the little video icon next to my name.

I told her to do it anyway... I got a call with an interface different from the voice chat. There were buttons to turn on the front camera, mute the mic, and enable audio which turned on the speaker phone. Until I hit the button to turn on the webcam, she just saw my gtalk avatar. The sound was great and the picture of me on her end was great. Unfortunately the image I was getting from her was very garbled... I should have taken a screen shot. The image of herself on her end looked fine.

Another note is that the interface only worked in landscape mode, if i rotated my phone to portrait my camera image just went sideways. I used the kickstand to set the phone down on my desk and it worked really well.

Anyway, promising look of things to come.. exciting! Thanks for finding this and pointing it out!

J
Exactly the same here. My girlfriend can see me fine. My picture of her is in weird multicolours, suffers bluring and distortions and doesn't seem to refresh very often.

...I don't think that is what she looks like in real life but I suppose with long distance relationships you never know what might have changed in the meantime...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillyTheFish For This Useful Post:
same here we tested n900 to n900 no go, and if we initiated from the pc the image from the pc webcam looks in the n900 like crap and the n900 image is fine and fast

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leviathan18 For This Useful Post:
@BillyTheFish
I audibly laughed out loud when I read your comment

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I realise this is resurfacing a slightly old thread, but I just wanted to confirm this works and was really easy to setup!

My wife just got a new dell netbook with webcam. We both have gmail accounts and can see each other online when on the iGoogle home page.

She installed the google talk plugin, clicked on me in her chat list, chose "video and more" option and inititated a call to my N900. On the N900, I got an incoming call from her, answered it and up popped the screen with an option to turn on the camera. I did so, and she could see me - but I could not see her - just her avatar was displayed on my N900. I could see myself though.

She ended the call and had another go and we had perfect 2 way video. No stutter or anything. This was in different rooms in the same house via the same wireless router, and I thought the video quality was quite acceptable as long as my face was in direct light (a table lamp for this test).

I will test this tomorrow from the office (WiFi), then try it over 3G to see what happens.

I think the last update (PR1.1.1) may have slightly improved the front cam images, but I may just be imagining it! I actually thought the video from my N900 was clearer than the video from her Dell

I think the reason we cannot initiate a video chat the other way is that we do not have the video plugin on our N900's. Hopefully Google are working on a linux version.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
I think the reason we cannot initiate a video chat the other way is that we do not have the video plugin on our N900's. Hopefully Google are working on a linux version.
I believe the imminent PR1.2 update adds initiation ability from contacts ui for video call on gtalk.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
She installed the google talk plugin, clicked on me in her chat list, chose "video and more" option and inititated a call to my N900.
i dont have a 'video and more' option?
yes ive done everything you did

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by joemorin View Post

-if u want make gtalk video call, u must add your gmail account to N900, in VoIP and IM accounts.BTW, you may add other person account to contacts.

funny i dont have any 'video call' option on phone of pc?
ive installed the video plugin on pc too!
so id say it dont work

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, googletalk, googletalk with video, gtalk, gtalk with video, maemo, maemo 5, video, video chat