(Old thread, I know.)
My old Cowon player has given me some problems of late, so I was considering using the N9 as my music player
No contest against the Cowon--N9 sounds so dull. To my surprise my old N900 is a much closer race (though still loses). I could--and probably will--settle on theN900. The N9 sounds clean but really lifeless--kind of 2D. I am surprised so many people think the N9 sounds better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I agree. Both N8 & N9 sound pretty "flat" compared to my N900.

I don't really even want to mention the N91 in this post.

ps: N91 probably (surely) beats your Cowon in loudness and bass. If you can find it, grab it and don't look back.
Also the 5800XM (Tube) is a fantastic mp3 player.
imo , the N900 is almost as capable.

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-10-10 at 18:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
I have found that in terms of the audio quality coming out of the device, iPhones sound a lot clearer. I tend to find the audio output quite muddy and weak on my N9 compared to that of my friends ipod, and even with a side by side comparison of my Macbook, the N9 still was quite sad.
I used/use a pair of Sennheiser CX310's.

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
ps: N91 probably (surely) beats your Cowon in loudness and bass.
I have no experience with the N91, but having owned a couple of Cowons I would have to doubt this. Cowons have awesome SQ, and have a crazy amount of enhancements to play with. If true that N91 is a marvel.

You should try it my friend!
it is an audiophile's dream : )

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
You should try it my friend!
it is an audiophile's dream : )
From the specs it does not appear to play OGG/FLAC, and I don't see reference to a memory card slot. So no chance of buying one. Would like to happen across one just to play with though.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Just for the sound experience.

Out of curiosity, are you guys remembering to enable the Dolby Headphone setting under Settings -> Applications -> Music?

I generally don't listen to music on them through headphones (except for my blue tooth ones), and the N9 sounds pretty sweet through it. I don't think I've ever really sat down and compared the two. I know out of the built in speaker, the N900 was sounding way better than my boss's iPhone 3 (pretty sure it was a 3 at the time).

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Out of curiosity, are you guys remembering to enable the Dolby Headphone setting under Settings -> Applications -> Music?
I don't remember turning it on, but I looked and it is on in the settings. I will spare myself the experience of what it sounds like when off.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
(Old thread, I know.)
Yes indeed >.>

My old Cowon player has given me some problems of late, so I was considering using the N9 as my music player
No contest against the Cowon--N9 sounds so dull. To my surprise my old N900 is a much closer race (though still loses). I could--and probably will--settle on theN900. The N9 sounds clean but really lifeless--kind of 2D. I am surprised so many people think the N9 sounds better.
My findings pretty-much reflect the review, my N9 comes out on top overall, but in a few specific use cases my N900's better.
N91 eats them all.....

Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
I have found that in terms of the audio quality coming out of the device, iPhones sound a lot clearer. I tend to find the audio output quite muddy and weak on my N9 compared to that of my friends ipod<SNIP>
The SQ's widely known to have regressed in recent iterations of the iPhone, IIRC the 3GS was where the pinnacle was at, which is what was used in this comparo.
That regression may have been rectified with the iP5, I haven't looked into it yet...
The iPod (depending on which one you're talking about) may have a slightly different story.

I used/use a pair of Sennheiser CX310's.
That may be your problem....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-12 at 06:46.