Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Don't get confused by Architecture: all and Architecture: any - those are really for debian packages. Maemo has just two architectures, x86 and armel. And if your package is a based on a scripting language that can run on any architecture, it is probably best to use Architecture: any. But we are starting to get pedantic here. :^)
well basically all python packages use "all" and it's a bit stupid to generate debs for both i386 and armel when one "all" will do fine

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I think creating a python packaging howto would be great (...)
I know I'm late to this thread, but there is actually a decent (if short) howto on python packaging for maemo in the last section of the tutorial on the pymaemo site. I used it as one of my main resources when I wrote Grumby last year (part of my motivation being in fact learning python + deb packaging).

The Grumby source tgz may also be useful as learning aid, since it's basically one python file with a lot of maemo/debian padding around. I remember looking at WordPy and other python packages for inspiration at the time.

Last edited by hns; 2009-03-18 at 06:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hns For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Py2deb
Hello Khertan!

I looked at py2deb first to get this packaged, but saw that it doesn't support pre/post-inst scripts (see bottom of the wiki post) and my package relies on these.

Is this correct?

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
One last problem: when building with dpkg-buildpackage, I get this:

Code:
dh_install: quickclip missing files (), aborting
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
If I comment dh_install in rules the package builds fine but is just empty (and the icon shows up in AM ).

I think I'm really close.

Thanks.
Show me the source! (I could guess something but I won't)

Originally Posted by hns View Post
I know I'm late to this thread, but there is actually a decent (if short) howto on python packaging for maemo in the last section of the tutorial on the pymaemo site. I used it as one of my main resources when I wrote Grumby last year (part of my motivation being in fact learning python + deb packaging).

The Grumby source tgz may also be useful as learning aid, since it's basically one python file with a lot of maemo/debian padding around. I remember looking at WordPy and other python packages for inspiration at the time.
Thank you hns, both the tutorial and Grumby source were extremely helpful. Today I was successfully able to build a .deb the "proper" way. I ended up creating a setup.py and Makefile files, and with a bit of troubleshooting, a few modifications to my rules and control files, it Just Worked (TM).

Now all that is left is figuring out the whole sign packages/gpg thing (because dpkg-buildpackage gave a few warnings about it), then just upload it to the autobuilder.

Originally Posted by mikkov
Show me the source! (I could guess something but I won't)
Thanks for all the help mikkov (and everyone else), but I finally have a working package.

you don't need to sign the deb

Tags
debian, packaging