Active Topics

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
As the title says, how do I check if my N900's screen problem is software or hardware related?
My screen just suddenly died on me the other day. The night before I noticed that the screen's display was smaller than the screen size. I restarted my phone and that fixed it. However in the morning it started flashing/flickering without reason and it just went black.
I initially thought that it's hardware problem so I tried seeking for a repair shop but then I would like to make sure that it's not due to what I previously installed in my phone. I don't remember installing anything recently by the way.
So anybody got some ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
Reflash the device.
Did it work->software
else-> hardware

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas.k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's hardware. Disassamble it..maybe it's something "fixable" (ribbon connector or something)

The Following User Says Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
As the title says, how do I check if my N900's screen problem is software or hardware related?
Sounds like a possible main ribbon failure.
Use the TV out to check. If TV out ok then it's proved the software side without reflashing.

Check out this and scroll down for repair instructions.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=11

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by andreas.k View Post
Reflash the device.
Did it work->software
else-> hardware
Well, I'm trying not to flash the device. It's fully functional except for the screen and it's already running just the way I like it. I can use it while connected to a TV.
I was expecting something like a "type this in xterm and see output" kind of instruction but thanks anyway.

Hi sixwheeled,
Thanks for the reply and the link.
So it is possible that the ribbon is broken even if it looks ok. I already checked it but didn't see any damage so I thought it's a screen problem.
As I said in my reply above, phone's ok with tv out. So it really is most likely a hardware fault... I was hoping otherwise. Thanks again.

Edit: after reading about your experience with the ribbon"screw" I decided it will have to go to Nokia Care. Yours is not the first account on that screw, I wouldn't want to go through that experience.

Last edited by vetsin; 2013-05-12 at 23:26.

Just reporting back.

Got it repaired in a local mall. They replaced the whole slider mechanism. The bad thing is the screw located at the top right (when looked from behind) got worn out in the process so they had to remove the screw head by drilling it out similar to sixwheeledbeast's experience here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...71#post1324171

Anyway I'm happy that it's fixed even with one headless screw stuck at the back. I paid PhP1,500.00 (US$36.48) for the parts and service VS Nokia Care's quote of PhP2,418.72 (US$58.82 at 41.12 exchrate).

Last edited by vetsin; 2013-05-13 at 17:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Just reporting back.

Got it repaired in a local mall. They replaced the whole slider mechanism. The bad thing is the screw located at the top right (when looked from behind) got worn out in the process so they had to remove the screw head by drilling it out similar to sixwheeledbeast's experience[/url]
Thanks for letting us know.
I was convinced there was a batch with the top right screw cross threaded. When it happen I knew to break a screwdriver bit there was a major issue.
I think you have further confirmed this

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
And thanks to your post i didn't feel like getting mad at the technician for "screwing" the screw. I knew there's a possibility of that happening so I didn't mind it too much.