Im an IT guy however not a frontend type developer but a DBA so I dont have a good answer as to why this website home page loads so slowly but geez it sucks.

It loads slower than espn loads and they have a lot of stuff going on.

Anyone have any idea why and can anyone offer any suggestions to "the powers that be here" so they can improve the performance here.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I tried to analyze this once myself and quickly got lost in this maze of HTML and CSS. It's very inventive and hard to follow, so I guess it's hard to parse for a browser, too.

Just one example: On the main page, you see list items on a dark background with an orange triangle to the left. ("Active forums topics" is such a list.)
I got suspicous about this because usually I see this list with an orange background first, and it changes to black only when the page finished loading.

A look at the HTML+CSS makes me think (as I said, it's a maze, I'm not sure) that instead of simply setting the background to black, the code tells your browser to fetch this black image (2000x1000 pixels) and use it as background for each and every item in the list. The image is not completely black: If you look closely, you'll notice a tiny white spot in the upper right. That's the triangle, set to transparent, so the orange background I noticed will be visible here and create the illusion of a small orange triangle in front of each list item.

Also, there are shadow effects applied all over, so there's really a lot of nested DIV-containers and additional graphics to be loaded.

Last edited by benny1967; 2008-09-12 at 17:46.

I will fix it when I get the time, for the mean time, use the Minimalistic theme when using a tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Its still an awesome website Reggie.

Ironically, not only does this tablet website's default view show on my N810 as too wide (thus causing the horizontal scroll bar to appear, eating up realestate on my screen), but even if I switch to N810 view, its still too wide. Only the stripped down minimalistic mode works...