Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Hi,

as some have noticed I have resumed my work on Xournal and now it's at its fourth alpha version on Fremantle Extras-Devel repository.

The first ones were just to actually make it compile and start on Fremantle, but the last version got rid of the scrollbars altogether (with the addition of the Hand tool on the toolbar to scroll it around).

I am interested on what people think about this. I think it's a nice was to save screen space (and I'll probably backport it to Diablo once the Fremantle version is finished).

Also here's a rough roadmap on how I plan to continue work on Xournal for Maemo:

Beta Relese

sometime end of September
fully working, few things to iron out.
New feature: mail / bt sharing

First stable release:

mid/October
Working release of Xournal with as many bugs squashed out
Fully adapted to Maemo 5
Ready for the mass. No new notable feature.

Next release

Sometime before Christmas
- Sharing feature to be extended to on-line services:
- Google Docs
- Evernote
- You name it

New features:
- On-Line PDF annotation:
1 Select on-line PDF (from Gdocs/Evernote/bla)
2 Annotate as usual
3 PDF is only kept in local cache
4 the Xournal own file stores the PDF remote location (of course you can choose to bind a permanent copy of it as it does now)

This On-Line PDF annotation allows the user to share only the
annotations with users and have a single copy of the PDF in a remote location.
Use case: a student shares a PDF with exam to Prof.
Prof annotates errors, sends back annotations to user; user opens it as usual.

Pro: Smaller file to send around.
Cons: Online copy of PDF might disappear.

- Speech / Scribble recognition
- anyone knows a good library for those?

- Attach Audio/Video to notes
- rough idea. How would you annotate an audio or a video?
First things that comes to mind: lyrics style?

I am open to suggestions/critics.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks. Screenshots would be lovely.

There's "one" feature I'd find particularly useful.
You mention removing scrollbars and adding the hand tool - I'd like to be able to customise the buttons on the toolbar so we can have our own combination and order of items. I'd like to be able to add save button, and I don't use the highlight tool much at the moment, so I could remove that to save space.
I also use the zoom - fit to page width option a lot, and never use the "Normal Size" 1:1 view which means having to go through the menus.

Is the hildonised code available on the Garage? I'd love to have a look at some point.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Great! Tell me how to help (no coding abilities though )

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Without screenshots handy, I don't know if this would fit into your new UI, but one thing that always bugs me in the Chinook version is having to go into the colour dialog to select a pen, when most of the time, I want one of three colours. Could we have some presets that are accessible with less clicks/time? (e.g. a pull-down button with Black/Blue/Red, or some such thing) I tend to not use different colours, just because it's hard to keep up with lecture notes while switching colours constantly.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your contributions! The prospect of having note sync with the cloud (Evernote, Gdocs, Snowy) is just amazing.

All the best,

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following User Says Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
There's "one" feature I'd find particularly useful.
You mention removing scrollbars and adding the hand tool - I'd like to be able to customise the buttons on the toolbar so we can have our own combination and order of items. I'd like to be able to add save button, and I don't use the highlight tool much at the moment, so I could remove that to save space.
I also use the zoom - fit to page width option a lot, and never use the "Normal Size" 1:1 view which means having to go through the menus.

Is the hildonised code available on the Garage? I'd love to have a look at some point.
Customising the UI was the whole point of the port to Diablo.
There's a file "xo-hildon.xml" that describes the menu structure (but I am not sure in Fremantle how this will work out) and the Toolbar.
The toolbar is definitely customizable, but the scrollbars are not (I don't really see a point in re-enabling them, but if people ask for it I might put it back as an option later on).

The code is downloadable from the fremantle extras-devel source repository.
I want to setup a CVS repository so that I can keep track of branches/development in an easier way.

Aniello

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Without screenshots handy, I don't know if this would fit into your new UI, but one thing that always bugs me in the Chinook version is having to go into the colour dialog to select a pen, when most of the time, I want one of three colours. Could we have some presets that are accessible with less clicks/time? (e.g. a pull-down button with Black/Blue/Red, or some such thing) I tend to not use different colours, just because it's hard to keep up with lecture notes while switching colours constantly.
Going to release some screenshots soon.

I will put few colors more accessible and leave the dialog for picky people. That's something I was already thinking to do. And indeed, the desktop version those exactly that.

Aniello

Here's a screenshot.
The icons look ugly, I know.. I'll find better ones...

Aniello
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Matyas View Post
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your contributions! The prospect of having note sync with the cloud (Evernote, Gdocs, Snowy) is just amazing.

All the best,
Bear with me that this will see the light in a few months time...
But I can't wait to see it in action myself