Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
IAri Jaaksi has said they don't view Java as a priority for browsing the web these days.
Not surprising. I'm guessing that one way the came to this conclusion was to have a good sample size of users and then observed what internet properties they visited over a period of time, and then arrived at the conclusion that less than x% of the sites visited required Java, and many more required Flash, hence the decision to prioitize Flash over Java.

So far, Internet banking is the only thing I can't do with my N800 that I do on my PC

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
I don't view Mahjongg as a priority for browsing the web, but my wife still enjoys it on her tablet.

Personally, I'd rather have a JRE (and not for applets)

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
Not surprising. I'm guessing that one way the came to this conclusion was to have a good sample size of users and then observed what internet properties they visited over a period of time, and then arrived at the conclusion that less than x% of the sites visited required Java, and many more required Flash, hence the decision to prioitize Flash over Java.
That's probably what they did, and it's the wrong way. Because the number of times sites are visited says nothing about the importance of it. For example, I probably visit hundreds of sites between every time I visit my bank, but the bank site is by far the most important one.. and it requires java applet support as part of its authentication sequence. So I can't use my N800 for this for me extremely important task.

It's heavily influenced by ads, too. Many sites I visit have flash (for annoying ads), but I wouldn't care if it was gone. OTOH, Java is pretty much only represented by sites where that's the whole point. No Java ads weighting things to help out.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
the bank site is by far the most important one.. and it requires java applet support as part of its authentication sequence. So I can't use my N800 for this for me extremely important task.
Which makes me wonder why your bank isn't using JSP instead, so the java is on the server. Or is it not possible in this case?

Java mobilephone games on n800? So far i only saw hello world exxample?

Or are games only prioritised for SonnyErikson phones? (beeing anoyed that 90+% of those that people show otf don't run on my Samsung D600)
There also apps like bluethooth remote controls, .....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thing is java demonstrations for physics laws and such (often as applets)

The Following User Says Thank You to cool_guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ England
Any way to get java into the browser, so you could play java games on the web?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
For me, let alone games. !

There are many banks that use java for their online banking applications, so having java on the NITs would be a great plus to many, in order to have full access to financial data and banking (and ultimately your money) thru the Internet Table.

My 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Slixor View Post
Any way to get java into the browser, so you could play java games on the web?

It is a shame that there is actually hardware on the Tablets to run java (Jazelle) but it isn't active because Nokia chose not buy a licence for it. If you happen to use a Linux pc at home you could log into your pc securely by VNC over SSH and do your banking that way.