Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Sorry to harp on but Nokia seriously need to improve software quality fast if they're destined to be anything other than the provider of phones for the third world.
QFT, but thanks to the browser and apps like rdesktop a lot can be forgiven. Like say rss, I use google reader and it's easy enough to access by browser.

But still Nokia really shouldn't release half-baked phones anymore. It's great to get firmware updates, but they should only issue minor upgrades/fixes. Not gradually give us basic functionality that everyone has grown to expect to be avaivable by default. It's 2010. You don't have the luxury to do a half-assed job anymore.

But I'm sure Nokia has understood this now, the main fact verifying this is that Nokia is cutting 50% of new phones. So each phone should get a lot more love before release. Nokia would get so much love if M6 was upgradeable to the N900(even if it cost something), and the main thing being that M6 was finished and rock solid at addressing all basic needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
With the size it has, I don't understand why it would be preferable to a netbook to begin with, nevermind the Apple vice-grip
9.7" screen with 1024x768 resoluton.

Slate form factor is generally preferred for reading (Ebook, emagazine).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Apple makes a nice statement about scaling *up* UI development with this, and the importance of adding new content streams to their platform strategy is definitely key. But, this could have been done better if leverged more like an MS Courier (dual screens, sized like the MB Air) or in the software (the 10/GUI or Mag+ approaches here work).

It makes sense for where they are targeting - don't get me wrong. But better could and should have been done
If you consider this is just the start, what will next years device be like? Maybe it will have two screens. Maybe it will have new GUI improvements. And with hundreds more content providers clamouring to get on the iPad gravy train. It's a new product segment, and it's almost certain it will be successful. One thing is for sure, the new 2011 iPad OS will work fine on the 2010 model, something else Apple do right.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
. Maemo is positioned really well in light of this - Ovi Store issues notwithstanding.
Really? I'm struggling to see how this impacts positively on Maemo right now, I truly am...

Apple have introduced a bunch of new virtual keyboards on the iPad while Maemo manages to redesign the Maemo virtual keyboard so that it is less usable than it was in 2005 - I bet all the Apple keyboards work very nicely too. It's annoying changes like that in Maemo that really show that Apple do care about what they develop (not saying there aren't people that care at Nokia/Maemo, but really some of the changes and features in Maemo5 are shockingly bad and shouldn't have gone out the front door).

While I may not be impressed by the iPad itself, I'm seriously impressed by the execution of Apple when it comes to developing their products which is something I fear Nokia will never achieve.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-01-27 at 20:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
i'll go with a pixel qi tablet
prefer a better screen, one that i can use outside
ipad is fancy, like most apple products, but i think even hp's slate is better deal

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Is A4 the CPU or the size?

*hugs the N810 nPad*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I'm just trying to imagine how/where I'd use one of these. Too big to fit into my pocket, and if I have to pack it up to go with me anyway why not just pack up my laptop?

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
While I may not be impressed by the iPad itself, I'm seriously impressed by the execution of Apple when it comes to developing their products which is something I fear Nokia will never achieve.
Yeah, no doubt the iPad will do everything well that it promises straight from the bat. That's the difference between Apple and Nokia at the moment. You get a working whole, and will only be happy with updates as they bring something new, not fixes to problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
I'm just trying to imagine how/where I'd use one of these. Too big to fit into my pocket, and if I have to pack it up to go with me anyway why not just pack up my laptop?
This video explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHKCS28z1s

Just look at the poor motorcycler.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I'd just like a fcking N900 that doesn't play the ringtone of an incoming call to everyone in my train carriage when I'm listening to music on wired headphones. Some of the most basic N900 functionality needs addressing before it can be considered "really good".

Email is still pretty sucky and quite horrible to use. RSS reader - LOL, same as it was on the 770! Ovi Store - geez, just as well there's only about 20 applications or it would be unusable with that UI. Ovi Maps - unusable.

The only decent shipping app on the N900 is the browser, and to those developers I take my hat off.

Sorry to harp on but Nokia seriously need to improve software quality fast if they're destined to be anything other than the provider of phones for the third world.

Im sorry I disagree

I'm not missing apps, I can do most of what I want with the browser, dont get me wrong, I am looking forward to apps that will come as they will give me functionality that I hadn't thought of using. E-coach comes to mind, and stellarium is another, both very good, and Im sure there will be more wow moments.
Email is fine, OK, not very advanced, but I have all my mail accounts and they work - a decent search function would be useful, but basic funcionality is there.
I can keep up with all my social networking sites, and pixelpipe is just amazing, it makes everything so easy.
Yes Ovi store is bare, but so was the apple app store 3 months in, there needs to be a sense of perspective here.
My podcasts and RSS are all working fine for me, I finally have a device that has all my online stuff and is usable out on the move.
I agree that OVI maps isn't as good as google, but I have been using it in the UK fine, a bit more location aware stuff would be nice, but it is early days yet. As for the browser, I agree with you, it is my daily wow moment, it IS the killer app for the n900, it is just so good.

This is my first nokia, and after years of WM from Win CE on a phone upto win 6.5, I can say that for me - this is the best phone I have ever owned

I was looking at the ipad - its OK, but I couldn't take it out and do everything that I can do on my n900, and that is a testament to how good the n900 is, though I do like the screensize

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
It's just a little too big for me - I'd have preferred something under 7" - but I could easily see it sitting in the lounge. Imagine a tie up with a sports broadcaster, you can be watching a game on the TV and have stats and other info streamed to your iPad. This kind of integration will happen, this will become a de facto "lounge" device to be used as an adjunct to watching the TV.

If I had an iPad it wouldn't leave the house - it will be interesting to see how many take the 3G option.

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet