Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry for disturbing this thread. I'm not a person to talk about sales. As a community member the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that number was to compare it to the 10M downloads from Extras celebrated here some days ago. That's all. My last post in this thread, back to open source & development topics.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
at the end of the day nokia know s what they are doing.
again, the phone is targeted for users that want more than
the usual stuff that normal sells with a phone.

now if you ask your self this questions
how many fiddlers do you know that soul purpose is to
hack away on a phone?
do you think 8.75 million? i guess not

im not supprised on the amount of sales..... however im supprised
that people compare the n900 with iphone, i just cant get ma head
around that dumb comparison. thats like me comparing a
rolls royce and all the 9 yards and more with a mini cooper all
because they are grouped as a car.

i couldn't careless if iphone sold 10 billion handsets the fact still
remain the features that im looking for can only be found on a n900.

so good on nokia to be so diverse in the manufacturing department.

i can honestly say that Nokia makes a phones for individuals than just making a mass group of people adapted to their phones.

CN

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CodeNote For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
I waited 2 months for mine from Vodafone as demand was so much higher than expected.
good job really as it has taught me patience, which has proved much needed.....

apparently we will get our PR 1.2 at some point according to their technical guy yesterday! Shouldnt be too long I think was the technical term he used.

probably due to networks not liking phones this open and a very poor marketing effort. let's face it, this device is not for everyone although I'n perfectly happy with mine.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
These figures don't make much sense to me - I must be missing an operating system.

What I get is that, according to the figures published:
<100.000 N900s were sold in total.
~50.000 N900s were sold in Q4/2009, leaving <50.000 N900s for Q1/2010

But then they report a total of 1 993 900 Linux-based Smartphones sold in Q1/2010, which does not include Android (listed separately, which is technically correct IMHO).

If less than 50000 N900s were sold in Q1, which other Linux-based smartphone operating system was installed on the remaining 1943900 devices? OpenMoko?

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
If N900 only sold 100 000 it more than proves my point.

With those sales, shortage of N900 in the first 2 months because of N900 was the first high end by Nokia in the pas 4 years to be made in much smaller factory than Nokias finnish or chinese. Plus these high end phones always been made in two factories.

It seems Nokia was expecting 770, N800, N810 sales here, but like already said internet did tgenerate hype around N900.

Honestly anybody following N900 announcement and the talk around it in the first months downplayed N900 so much.

One fremante device before lots of Harmattan devices. Platform to get Qt4.6 firs that would work in all the future OS's(s^4 and Maemo/MeeGo). It was meant as dev tool..

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
These figures don't make much sense to me - I must be missing an operating system.

What I get is that, according to the figures published:
<100.000 N900s were sold in total.
~50.000 N900s were sold in Q4/2009, leaving <50.000 N900s for Q1/2010

But then they report a total of 1 993 900 Linux-based Smartphones sold in Q1/2010, which does not include Android (listed separately, which is technically correct IMHO).

If less than 50000 N900s were sold in Q1, which other Linux-based smartphone operating system was installed on the remaining 1943900 devices? OpenMoko?
Good point. How about WebOS?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Of course, but there is a correlation. Pick a calculator (if you need it) to get the average downloads per (said) device sold and get conclusions for yourself.
And what is the average downloads per device sold; this is common knowledge?

If you don't specify your reasoning, it doesn't count. If you can do the math, do the math. No reason to make a guessing game out of it.

Oh, you are assuming that the 100,000 figure is correct? Hmmm.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-28 at 10:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thats not much. But Im not surprised, here in Switzerland it has not been advertised at all. Its not exactly an attractive handset either. Also imagine an average customer trying it out at a local store and it doesn't even have portrait orientation.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by cortina61 View Post
I waited 2 months for mine from Vodafone as demand was so much higher than expected.
good job really as it has taught me patience, which has proved much needed.....

apparently we will get our PR 1.2 at some point according to their technical guy yesterday! Shouldnt be too long I think was the technical term he used.
I had to flash my device yesterday to get pr1.2 because i was using vodafone variant 205.1
Vodafone are really acting shady with their customers, can't believe they are withholding the update on their terms.

To be honest, there is no real need to update to pr1.2 until nokia gets the ovistore working properly, then you might want to consider burning vodafone shops down, or just flashing

until then, wouldn't say you are missing much mate

Tags
nokia n900, sales