Many speculations on SE and the enforcement of Emma. Time for a few facts:

1. This is good.it means ordinary users can more easily get sfos . Thus it will probably extend the number of users on

2. Linux (flashtool) will still be usable for the more techies. You can use flashtool to create a flashable ftf file, downloaded from Emma.

3. Bad part; once Sony decides X is EOL, they might remove images from Emma. This, is probably where some discussions between Jolla and SE is going right now.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Turkey
What is more disappointing is that we have to go through the comments section to learn that Windows is mandatory at some point during the flashing process.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to herdem09 For This Useful Post:
You can do the following:

- make standard KVM virtual machine with Windows 10
- shut it down
- plug in your Sony
- open virtual guest properties
- add Sony as USB passthough device
- start the guest

Now you should have your Sony plugged in USB in your guest Windows 10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Its not ideal I'll admit, but it if makes it more of a shot to get SFOS into more hands it maybe worth it, and am sure we'll work something out

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Its not ideal I'll admit, but it if makes it more of a shot to get SFOS into more hands it maybe worth it, and am sure we'll work something out
I am thinking the same thing. People will find a way.

Also this might help people who are not into Linux to try out SFOS on their phones. The more support the better

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
3. Bad part; once Sony decides X is EOL, they might remove images from Emma. This, is probably where some discussions between Jolla and SE is going right now.
This is fairly baseless, there's a whole bunch of devices still supported by Emma that are a lot older than the Xperia X, for instance the Xperia Z (Feb 2013) and the Xperia SL (Sept 2012).

So yeah, if that is any indication we're looking at the Xperia X being 'EOL' sometime around 2021, maybe.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
OK. And how many people that are not "into linux" will give 50€ just to try linux based phone OS? Even if they have X already.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I am thinking the same thing. People will find a way.

Also this might help people who are not into Linux to try out SFOS on their phones. The more support the better
Yes, the more are able to install it the better,

but figuring something out again still means means you first need to own or having access to a Windows machine or it’s not the really legal way ... in some point (at least for downloading) a Windows tool will be evolved what means you need to install it what implements the access to a legal Windows copy (even if installed in a virtual machine or in boot camp you need a legal license ...)

And you can’t just download one image and give it to community as it will be individual purchases and you will have to download your own copy ... - however Jolla ans Sony plan to make this happen (hopefully not with any kind of drm) it would be illegal to spread it

So back to the first statement. The more the better - I’m pretty sure the point won’t be the availability of a Windows tool but unlocking the bootloader plus saving the drm keys - Just imagine the shitstorm that will go down on Jolla when crowds of “only wanted to try it” people realise that they don’t get back their Sony-extra-stuff when flashing back to android ... - or even more likely don’t get the unlocking process anyway and you can read everywhere about the shitty OS you can’t even install or that bricked your device or ...

I don’t know what Sony an Jolla a brewing together right now, but as long as bootloader, adb tools, fastboot and other stuff are evolved I would highly recommend to keep the flashing process advances as you don’t want any noobs to brick their devices and spreading bad news ... at least you need a really good and fast support hotline - have a look at the Fairphone forum and you will realise how many things can go wrong even without having to downgrade, unlock first

just my point of view

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
OK. And how many people that are not "into linux" will give 50€ just to try linux based phone OS? Even if they have X already.
Android is Linux based.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Android is Linux based.
Indeed it better to think of SFOS as GNU based rather than Linux based. It's internal stack and available software is all built around the GNU part of typical GNU+Linux distros.

But of course when people say 'Linux based' they're usually referring to GNU+Linux anyway.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x