Hi there,

There has been allot of questions about a Nintendo DS emulator for the n900. I dont understand anything about maemo programming but allot of you guys do.

I posted a very good working ds emulator for the pc. it runs the newest games.

Maybe someone of you could give it a look and maybe tell if it is possible to port this to the n900.

This software is freeware. so no problem in using it.

It can be downloaded from the website here:

http://nocash.emubase.de/no$gba-w.zip

I have a feeling that guys are gonna say it's not possible because of hardware restrictions on the N900.

I really hope I am wrong :-)

My Blog

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
There will probably be legal issues, just because it's freeware doesnt mean you can start changing it and porting it to the n900. And also i would imagine hardware would be an issue too, as well as squeezing those two screens onto the 1 on n900 and trying to keep the same aspect ratio would mean it would be absolutely tiny!

CH

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
You´ve posted a windows binary. To port something you need at least the source code. Better source code that actually compiles on Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
http://desmume.org/ <-- here's a Free Software one(no this isn't the same as freeware)
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bolton, United Kingdom
I had DeSmuME running on my N900 after a straight compile. The GTK, Glade and CLI frontends all ran with Glade having the highest framerate... a whopping 10-15 fps with frameskip at 9 and audio off. Other than the clear need for a fair bit of optimising, the only other issue I ran into was the scale of the screen areas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Awesome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hey, if a emulator like that has trouble running on 2.4GHz Dual Core, perhaps it won't run so well on 600MHz ARM processor?

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Hey, if a emulator like that has trouble running on 2.4GHz Dual Core, perhaps it won't run so well on 600MHz ARM processor?
thats wat i thought too but the ds runs on

CPUs: Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI coprocessor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively. The ARM946E-S CPU processes gameplay mechanisms and video rendering while the ARM7TDMI processes sound output, Wi-Fi support and additionally, when in Game Boy Advance mode, processes what the other processor used to do.

Both are ARM based, maybe we just have to stop it emulating the processor and make it go directly to it since its arm based anyways...

Although im attempting to try it now

The Following User Says Thank You to Kwljunky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
It's not an emulator then.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
It would just need to be a VM of some sort I guess.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Tags
ds emulator, emulator