Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
ok, took me a while to realise. but python isnt far from ada! and i remember that!! just struggling to figure out any apis or system calls...
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

this is great! Thanks for this tutorial. Very usefull for people (noob) like me :-)

sure this has probably been mentioned before - but definitely enjoying this read - Python for newbies (Maemo twist)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Good news, everyone ! As of tonight, PyQt is available to the general public as a simple Extras install (look for python2.5-qt4-doc) from the Application Manager !

PS. Future versions will have a more intuitive package name but I did not want to break the quarantine waiting period

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Anyone know which python module will help me determine what repo an app is from? (Jaffa? - as you have experience in this field!)

p.s. seen your post in another thread pointing to the python modules - tried hunting through them all, but it's hard work - would be useful to have a simplified english description next to each

That's not as easy to find out as it seems... There is python-apt, but that is not ported to Maemo as of yet. The nasty part is that you have no info which repo has an app been actually installed from, only which repos contain it NOW, which is not necessarily what you want. Plus, just to add a spin to it, there is good chance repositories will start to get cleaned up, so you might have an app installed whose (installed) version is currently not present in any of the repositories.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Woah...........
But i suppose i am still interested in finding out which currently installed applications are currently in a certain repo - so it's a start!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There is python-apt, but that is not ported to Maemo as of yet.
Hmmm just re-read that bit... how about just getting a list of installed apps then ? - any specific module?

might be easier just to parse the output of `dpkg -l`

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
ahaaaaa getting somewhere - Will go google dpkg (Sorry, new to linux, but actually understanding python!) - so getting somewhere.

Actually got a listwidget thingy being filled by a loop, and its working fine, so this is my next step (Slow and steady tis the way to go!)

Thank you very much Attila