Notices

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This might seem a daft question but...
Apart from being written in C++, thus faster, what are the main feature differentiations between this and cuteTube (either version)?
beside the advantage of speed with c++, the main thing that makes it faster compare to almost any youtube client exist in many other devices is the way to interface with youtube api data server. Nvideo make the server do all the work of filtering out any unnecessary data before it return the result, instead of getting 3k of data, Nvideo is getting only 0.5k thus helping parsing the data much faster on the phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by khuong View Post
beside the advantage of speed with c++, the main thing that makes it faster compare to almost any youtube client exist in many other devices is the way to interface with youtube api data server. Nvideo make the server do all the work of filtering out any unnecessary data before it return the result, instead of getting 3k of data, Nvideo is getting only 0.5k thus helping parsing the data much faster on the phone.
Thanks. So,
- UI is faster than QML.
- search is faster than most other clients because the YouTube servers are doing all the work.
- search results come are displayed faster than many other clients because less data is transfered.

What about the downloading and viewing of videos (online and offline)?
Are there any other features or differences?

Sorry to press this - I'm keen to find out about it before I install it, being a fairly early release and all. Apologies if all this info is in a Wiki somewhere, just show me where and I'll read it for myself, without you having to repeat yourself.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I have never run into a crash for the entire month of testing and using it. I have used this app for while before release it. It would help if you describe what you did to crash and is it reproduceable?
Sure. It's unfortunately not reproduceable by specific instructions, but out of good (bad?) luck, it just crashed the very first time I tried it after reading your message.

I opened the program, clicked a video from the main screen, clicked two related videos in a row, it showed "cannot open media source" briefly (maybe 100 milliseconds) and then crashed before I could click OK on the message. I don't remember seeing the "cannot open media source" message the last times when it was crashing, maybe it's a red herring.

When I restarted and tried the exact same behavior again, it didn't crash. I browsed probably 50 videos with no crash this time...

My general usage pattern when I encountered these crashes basically involved watching lots of related videos, several levels deep of related, going back to main menu and watching some others. Sometimes stopping or skipping ahead in videos, changing between fullscreen and windowed mode (or however you want to call the non-fullscreen mode). I browsed by category, but the crashed happened even without utilizing that feature. I did not use search at all.

Next time I'll try starting nvideo from commandline, in case it produces any interesting messages if it crashes again.

I'm using CSSU and kernel-power v49. Let me know if there's any other info I can provide that might be useful. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
best youtube app ever!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to amadeukaos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Sure. It's unfortunately not reproduceable by specific instructions, but out of good (bad?) luck, it just crashed the very first time I tried it after reading your message.

I opened the program, clicked a video from the main screen, clicked two related videos in a row, it showed "cannot open media source" briefly (maybe 100 milliseconds) and then crashed before I could click OK on the message. I don't remember seeing the "cannot open media source" message the last times when it was crashing, maybe it's a red herring.

When I restarted and tried the exact same behavior again, it didn't crash. I browsed probably 50 videos with no crash this time...

My general usage pattern when I encountered these crashes basically involved watching lots of related videos, several levels deep of related, going back to main menu and watching some others. Sometimes stopping or skipping ahead in videos, changing between fullscreen and windowed mode (or however you want to call the non-fullscreen mode). I browsed by category, but the crashed happened even without utilizing that feature. I did not use search at all.

Next time I'll try starting nvideo from commandline, in case it produces any interesting messages if it crashes again.

I'm using CSSU and kernel-power v49. Let me know if there's any other info I can provide that might be useful. Thanks!
Thanks very much stlpual for taking your time to provide a thorough report. I had tried to abuse the app by tapping and switching crazily using the same behavior you described above with the intention of trying to make it crash, but can't seem to make it crash. Maybe it still depends on each device configuration, I am currently running stock firmware with overclock kernel v46. From what you described the crash related to playing video with several deep related videos, which made me think that the possibility is the backend video engine may be gone out of wacked when handling fast chaning video stream or unstable network connection may play an important role here. All i can do in this situation is implementing a way to renew or reset the backend video engine object after certain number of videos has been handled in a row. The "can't not open media source" is an error produced by backend video engine which related to invalid video data, this may be the unstability or data packet loss of network, or invalid video stream. This is out of my control just like buffering or lagging.

If anyone with cssu or not run into the same problem described by stlpaul, please be kind to report it here so I can sort it out to see where the actual problem is before I release the final version.
I consider this app is my last project for n900, and also a going away gift to this community which was very supportive in every way and had produced many free great app for n900 users.

I won't be having time to involve in anything else beside my incoming baby girl at the end of this month, and this will my first time being a daddy though feeling exited but nervous as hell, so help me god...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I consider this app is my last project for n900, and also a going away gift to this community which was very supportive in every way and had produced many free great app for n900 users.

I won't be having time to involve in anything else beside my incoming baby girl at the end of this month, and this will my first time being a daddy though feeling exited but nervous as hell, so help me god...
Thanks very much for such a great app, I really enjoy it. Congratulations and good luck with your new daughter. Get plenty of sleep now because you won't have any for a while once she arrives.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Only used briefly but really like this app.

UPDATE: you have skills, sir. This is so fast and well designed I want to know how to donate some money for your work. Easily one of the best apps ever for the N900.

Last edited by lancewex; 2011-10-06 at 21:12.

Lightweight, superfast app! Thanks a lot!

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Slovakia, Bratislava
This is surely the best youtube video player you can install on n900. But one feature suggestion: is it posssible to add opportunity after watching a video to view other videos what user uploaded?(Or maybe I just didn't noticed how to do that) In Cutetube I frequently used this feature.

Last edited by noname711; 2011-10-05 at 19:39.

Originally Posted by noname711 View Post
This is surely the best youtube video player you can install on n900. But one feature suggestion: is it posssible to add opportunity after watching a video to view other videos what user uploaded?(Or maybe I just didn't noticed how to do that) In Cutetube I frequently used this feature.
long press on any video to popup contextmenu and select user's video to display that user's video uploads, favorites, and playlists.

Explore contextmenu, there are many useful actions available depend on your current viewing window.

Last edited by khuong; 2011-10-05 at 22:08.