@Hurrian

You are actually right about the MTP and that is what the ICS does.
The ICS+premium suit will be delivered to the galaxy note too,

This article discusses the MTP with ICS:

http://droidsolute.com/memory-manage...ream-sandwich/

@debernardis

Yeah I was concerned about large graphical games, some books, and some medium sized apps that I need a lot. Thanks for the solution, I will copy only large apps (non-background) ones to the SD card.
Btw, does the galaxy note come with an SD card in the box?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Virtuality View Post
Btw, does the galaxy note come with an SD card in the box?
I think it depends on each national Samsung importer. Mine had no micro sd card, but Samsung Italy shortly after purchase sent everybody a wundrous gift package including a BT earpiece, cables for TV and OTG USB, and flipcase

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I think it depends on each national Samsung importer. Mine had no micro sd card, but Samsung Italy shortly after purchase sent everybody a wundrous gift package including a BT earpiece, cables for TV and OTG USB, and flipcase
Wow..this is a gorgeous gift! Congrats for this gift!

Besides, are you satisfied with the galaxy note? I mean are there any major weaknesses or disadvantages? The big size is not a problem to me. But, did you notice any other problems with the phone?

Originally Posted by Virtuality View Post
Wow..this is a gorgeous gift! Congrats for this gift!

Besides, are you satisfied with the galaxy note? I mean are there any major weaknesses or disadvantages? The big size is not a problem to me. But, did you notice any other problems with the phone?
All in all, I like the Note, very much.
What I like best is its large display, something now I need for my presbiopsy (I was always keeping my N900 at few centimeters from my eyes

HW is excellent, dual core is quick, GPS is extremely quick, thin profile is good for carrying around. Unfortunately it hasn't stereo speakers, and speaker volume is not generous at all.

In comparison to other Androids I have tried, it's absolutely top-notch. The presence of the pen, which is quite precise, is good if you're inclined to jot at meetings (or for your grocery shop): both are things I do.

If you get one, update it to the latest firmware (LC1, or LC2 for far east countries). Previous versions are somewhat less snappy and battery consuming.

Then, the dark side: I must admit I needed some time to get accustomed to the Android way of doing things, i.e. to a less effective multitasking, to the lack of an unifying GNU framework for scripting, and to a somewhat less helpful community.

The last point deserves an explanation. Here on TMO, every hack and program is documented, sources are available, and even dummies like myself have been able to make some tweaks to system and programs, or code something simple and make a deb package.

On XDA, even if it's a huge and rich resource, programs and system hacks are often freely downloadable but rarely documented or discussed in public threads, and there is also quite a bit of competition between firmware hackers, with less co-operation and open development. This has given me less chances to learn something.

For instance, there's an Android program that basically is like Swappolube, it's called Ram Manager, and seems to do its work in balancing memory needs for gaming or multitasking. It's a paid-for application with a free lite version with less options, no-one knows what the hell it does because there's no documentation (even if I guess it applies some changes to /proc), and this leaves me sourly unsatisfied. Compare that to the huge threads discussing Swappolube or several other scripts, with Simon's explanations... TMO has been another world, a better world That's the reason I'm still here.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
for me, the 3 major weaknesses (leaving aside the o/s and focusing solely on day to day usage) are:

1) video out - the HDMI should be way better than the n900 but in practice just isn't - for me anyway

2) skype performance: n900 skype was bullet-proof, even on 2G I could always connect 1st time and hardly ever experienced call quality issues. on the note I find that skype audio calls (mainly to telephones rather than other skype users) are useless in "real-world" conditions. wifi is fine but I need skype to work on cellular network and it always lets me down. even stationarh with a strong signal and > 1MB/s download the call often doesnt connect and the audio is normally unintelligible if it does.

3) audio (both through speakers and headphones) is inferior to n900. out of the box, the note audio is tinny at best and it needs allthe help it can get from EQ to make it liveable-with as your main mp3 player

I'd also echo all of Ernesto's points above but the note is still the best thing out there for fully portable surfing/eBook/sat nav/movie player/ mp3/remote control/sketch & notetaking - there's simply nothing else with the screen size + quality plus s-pen plus fast-lock GPS in a pocketable form factor. I would have stayed with my n900 until it died except that the screen size of the note makes surfing, remote control and ebook reading soooo much easier on the eye. I never read eBooks on n900 and only did really essential remote access tasks - but the note wins for me because I no longer need carry real books i.e. one step nearer total convergance.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
oh and also agree with E de B re. XDA - I've yet to receive any usefuk answer to anything I post there - have always ended up having to research and solve my own problems due to complete lack of useful feedback. night and day compared to the real community spirit that always existed here.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
The fact that it can support native video calls via 3G network is a win for me. Has anybody tried? What were your thoughts?

Originally Posted by fffffred View Post
The fact that it can support native video calls via 3G network is a win for me. Has anybody tried? What were your thoughts?
I've done some skype video calls home (me on 3g, home on adsl), and quality depends on carrier quality, as expected. Good when cells are serving fewer people, almost useless because of video stuttering in peak traffic hours. Audio has always been good.

well I've been considering the note for sometime now, but today I read an article about the Galaxy Nexus, and started to wonder....

still not sure, the Nexus is much cheaper and offers quite a lot of options, sound is supposed to be great, resolution is almost the same, the only difference I can think of is the screen size...can this be a just reason for getting the note over the nexus ?

Originally Posted by ticktock666 View Post
well I've been considering the note for sometime now, but today I read an article about the Galaxy Nexus, and started to wonder....

still not sure, the Nexus is much cheaper and offers quite a lot of options, sound is supposed to be great, resolution is almost the same, the only difference I can think of is the screen size...can this be a just reason for getting the note over the nexus ?
Definitely.

On top of that you get a physical Home button (no onscreen buttons = more screen estate), microSD expansion, better front camera (2MP vs VGA) and definitely better rear camera (great 8MP vs good 5MP). Plus you get "Samsung Apps" so that's premium apps like Navigon, Swype, Asphalt, Angry Birds and so on for FREE.

Also the Exynos chip is much faster, especially in GPU. The call quality is better and the headphones are slightly better too.
The microUSB has more amp, so that it supports more HOST devices. The NOTE is keeping its street value longer than Gnex. And the S PEN is a great company.

Even the NOTE has ICS, with some aosp roms (aokp) already in beta...so very soon it will match the Gnex.

The only reason to turn away from the NOTE to the Gnex is basically if you have feminine hands or skinny jeans.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note