Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india

Washington: An 18-year-old Indian-origin girl in the US has developed a potentially revolutionary device that can charge a mobile phone in just 20 seconds, a media report said.
The charging device has been dubbed a supercapacitor by Esha Khare of Saratoga, California, the Daily Mail reported.
Khare won $50000 for her invention at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair held in Phoenix.
Khare has only usedher supercapacitor to power a light-emitting diode (LED), but says thatone day her invention will power cell phones, cars and any gadget that requires a rechargeable battery.
Asked what inspired her to work on the technology, Khare said My cell phone battery always dies.It has a lot of different applications and advantages over batteries in that sense she wasquoted as saying.
The supercapacitoris flexible and tiny,and is able to handle 10,000 recharge cycles, more than normal batteries by a factor of 10.
Khare is a student of nanochemistry, and is now headingto Harvard.
Google has been in contact with Khareto explore how she plans to change themakeup of cell phone battery life the report said

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
New lithium-ion battery design that’s 2,000 times more powerful, recharges 1,000 times faster
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...0-times-faster
In essence, a standard li-ion battery normally has a solid, two-dimensional anode made of graphite and a cathode made of a lithium salt.
The new Illinois battery, on the other hand, has a porous, three-dimensional anode and cathode. To create this new electrode structure, the researchers build up a structure of polystyrene (Styrofoam) on a glass substrate, electro-deposit nickel onto the polystyrene, and then electro-deposit nickel-tin onto the anode and manganese dioxide onto the cathode.

I will definitely read about this 'super-capacitor', too. I may need a new battery for N900 a month or two later, and I would prefer to see a high-capacity high-technology battery replacing BL-5J. It's not like there isn't demand for them. Polarcell is a good example of increased-capacity battery, and I would be curious to see what kind of work they were doing to get this advantage for their products.
Meantime, I am reading science fiction.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-05-22 at 07:13.

English isn't my native language , but ..... mate with your spelling we have to find ''spirits'' to translate what you've written , you've copy-pasted the article , but the title ...oh God , that horror .
Sorry for my intervention

So the secret was....curry?

(I kid, I kid, or do I?)

I'm flattered

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
awesome invention

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
English isn't my native language , but ..... mate with your spelling we have to find ''spirits'' to translate what you've written , you've copy-pasted the article , but the title ...oh God , that horror .
Sorry for my intervention
lol i made the same post

btw what was the horror

i also not engalish

indian origin girl from us invents supercapicater to charge battries @20 seconds

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
still trying to figure out what the gender, geographical location or national heritage of the individual has to do with the actual invention...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Or what on earth supercapicater is. When I first read read it I thought it was an implement for adding extra heads (same root as but opposite function of decapitator).

I have grown immune to these advancements and studies made about new and different battery technologies.
There seem to be promising news about one or another every month for past 3-4 years.

You would expect some big steps done in that side, thinking in who's interest it's improve batteries just now and how much R&D money they are ready to put there.