Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
mplawner, The current problems with I/O on ITT current firmware are well known, It happens when you put to much load on the mmc's I install from flash, its a bit slower but more stable, but it may cause issues, I seem to have better luck with internal than external.

Just to be clear, its the IO causing the problem, not any of the scripts, this would of hung and crashed for you with or without a script, its the untar of bzip file thats causing your problem.

NOKIA, try to untar a bzipped file of 2-300MB uncompressed. See what your tablet does, tell me you can't reproduce it, I can, and so can mplawner, and I am sure many many others

This is a firmware issue

Good luck mplawner, just be glad you have the script, it would be even more annoying to do this manually several times.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-09-13 at 19:43.

BTW, sometimes the script finishes, and goes back to the menu, leaving you wondering if the script finished. If it dumps you back to the menu, it probably finished. Close the menu and run the following.

find /usr/local | wc -l

So if it finished, but your not sure

/usr/local should have 13311 files

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Might be worth trying to have the MMC Plus kernel patch installed, if using SD card as a file source. Based on my own experience it seem to handle complex file I/O situations much better than Nokia stock kernel...

I might try it today or during the weekend to see if it works on my tablet.

It might also help to install ssh or open another tab and run top, metalayer could be killing you also.

Try this before running the script

/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop

Stopping: Metalayer Crawler: metalayer-crawler0.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I suspect it was the I/O. I did follow the script manually, and everything appears to be clean, it was just writing to the loopback device on the MMC2 card that seems to have caused a problem. Metalayer wouldn't have been it, since I've sorted that out a couple of days back.
Anyhow, I'm doin' it "old-school," since I've now got a partition I have been using for all the different flavors of wms you've been churning out.

In fact, I'm looking for a separate thread to start with the pros and cons of each of the wms you've released, and which ones can play nicely together!

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming. Looking forward to GNOME with compiz fusion!

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Virginia
OK - dumb question - my .img is not getting mounted , mount failed, not a block device. My understanding of -o loop option is that it will mount a file on the loopback as block device .... so ... any clue where this might be failing ?

Nokia770-49:~# fsck /media/mmc1/XFCE.img
fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
e2fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
/media/mmc1/XFCE.img: clean, 11/131072 files, 16553/524288 blocks

Nokia770-49:~# mount -o loop /media/mmc1/XFCE.img /usr/local/
mount: Mounting /media/mmc1/XFCE.img on /usr/local failed: Block device required
Nokia770-49:~#

Just reporting a succesfull install here.

Now... What I'm gonna do with this?

Originally Posted by thel8elvis View Post
OK - dumb question - my .img is not getting mounted , mount failed, not a block device. My understanding of -o loop option is that it will mount a file on the loopback as block device .... so ... any clue where this might be failing ?

Nokia770-49:~# fsck /media/mmc1/XFCE.img
fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
e2fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
/media/mmc1/XFCE.img: clean, 11/131072 files, 16553/524288 blocks

Nokia770-49:~# mount -o loop /media/mmc1/XFCE.img /usr/local/
mount: Mounting /media/mmc1/XFCE.img on /usr/local failed: Block device required
Nokia770-49:~#
I know you did not used to be able to do mount -o loop on 770 and early n800, losetup used to be there, I have n800 with latest OS, are you running Hacker edition or what OS?

is losetup on you box?
How about something like this?

losetup /dev/loop0 /media/mmc1/XFCE.img
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mount -t ext2 /dev/loop0 /usr/local

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Just reporting a succesfull install here.

Now... What I'm gonna do with this?
Can you report your OS and Hardware version?

Thanks

Do with it what you like, please report any bugs, or suggestions in the XFCE Available thread though :-)

I have been listening to music with links, at shoutcast, and watching xlock hehe

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Can you report your OS and Hardware version?

Thanks

Do with it what you like, please report any bugs, or suggestions in the XFCE Available thread though :-)

I have been listening to music with links, at shoutcast, and watching xlock hehe
My device is N800 with latest firmware 4.2007.26-8 and patched MMC Plus kernel. (In fact during the first try the N800 just rebooted in the middle of the install, due to too much File I/O?) Second try was successful, when I did not connect to WiFi access point and keep tapping the screen for N800 not to enter into sleep mode.)

I'll play with this more on the weekend.

Thanks for making this available! It is nice to see something else than just the Hildon desktop in the N800...

How about someone porting OpenOffice for this? (Probably too massive porting project, and too big to run on N800... at least without extended virtual memory?)