Poll: Do you think encrypting user data on the mobile is important?
Poll Options
Do you think encrypting user data on the mobile is important?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
hello

on my Gentoo server I have implemented encryption using LUKS. i'm booting off of a USB stick with a special initramfs on it, basically not so much special about, only the init script is capable of reading encryption passwords and keys off usb stick with some kernel parameters.

http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot

i would like to do the same with N900, so user data partition could be encrypted. i have not yet dived into discovery mode poking around with power kernel and N900 insides, to see if this can be done, i'd like to find out if anyone has already looked at this.

ideally i would like to connect a usb key to n900 during boot so private keys could be read, not entirely sure right now where usb host mode stands, but password entry capability would suffice too for beginning.

The Following User Says Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I also use LUKS and have been seeking a method to encrpyt a partition (I heard doing the whole MyDocs parition is not possible).
Considering the amount of personaldata I keep on there, it would be all too for a thief to get to my stuff.

I doubt you would be able to use a USB stick to store the keys, but you could always store them on the SD card.

Right now the only method I've been able to use is storing my personal stuff on the SD card and using the truecrypt port to encrypt/decrypt; this is not really ideal as I like to use the SD card for other things, and it is not that big.

I really think encrpyption for a device like this is vital.