Active Topics

Anyone have any insight on if this is possible? I am all but sold on buying an N810 but would love to leverage my unlimited data plan that work pays for.

It works flawlessly for me... I am using OS2008 with my N800 and a BB8830.

The Following User Says Thank You to pearl62 For This Useful Post:
8830 is Sprint? Good to know you go it working but I am concerned I might have difficulties with T-Mobile. Are you on a corporate data plan?

I am using T-Mobile's 4.99 Unlimited Data plan. It's not the quickest bunny in the pack, but it works.

The Following User Says Thank You to kilmar For This Useful Post:
I was only asking specifically about the model number because the 8830 is the world phone edition for either sprint or verizon. tmobile's is 8800 straight up. But if you say that you have the t-mobile data plan, that clears it up. At least enough for me to run out and buy this immediately. Being able to leverage my 8800 unlimited data connection makes the N810 unparalleled. The iTouch can not touch the N810 in my book. Of course, I say this without ever having put my hands on the 810.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I am using T-Mobile's 4.99 Unlimited Data plan. It's not the quickest bunny in the pack, but it works.
That's just unlimited web, not general unlimited data. If you're going to tether this to your N8x0, you might want/need the "total internet" addon, which is $20, not $5.

As for speed, engadget says that next week T-Mobile is making a big announcement. They might finally be releasing HSDPA service... and since none of their current phones is 3g capable, I'm holding off on buying anything until after the announcement.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Sprint and Verizon have been known to pull shenanigans with non-audio Bluetooth services on their devices.

I would suggest you make certain that your operator doesnt cripple the Bluetooth by checking in on Howard Forums in the BlackBerry discussion group, or on BlackBerryForums.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to emory For This Useful Post:
I did find this:

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/07/19/005156/

where someone was able to tether their macbook pro to a t-mobile BB 8800 using what seems to be a similar script as I've seen folks here have to edit on their N800/N810.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
That's just unlimited web, not general unlimited data. If you're going to tether this to your N8x0, you might want/need the "total internet" addon, which is $20, not $5.
I'm not sure what the difference between Unlimited Web and Unlimited Data as I have T-Mobile tethered to the N810 and I have yet to find anything that's blocked. Note I used the word "yet".

Please let me know what shouldn't work and I'll try it out.

Last edited by kilmar; 2007-11-29 at 22:09.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I'm not sure what the difference between Unlimited Web and Unlimited Data as I have T-Mobile tethered to the N810 and I have yet to find anything that's blocked. Not the word "yet".

Please let me know what shouldn't work and I'll try it out.

My understading is that the "Tmobile Web" is for connecting to web servers only, so ports 80 and 443 should be fine.

But, in order to not violate your terms of service, if you want to connect to other ports (say, ssh from your tablet to an ssh server), you'd need the "total internet" package.

Some ports to try: ssh, imap, imaps, smtp, imap, imaps, pop, spop

or, try to skype from your tablet.