Active Topics

Notices

Well the N900 can video chat with Skype and Google Talk... I think it would be great if they made a FaceTime plugin, is it even possible?

Highly doubtful. It only works with other iPhone 4s

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Well, to be fair, Facetime is mentioned as an open standard in many places, so from that perspective it's in no way impossible. But as we can see from this article (http://blog.radvision.com/voipsurviv...%99s-facetime/), openness isn't always that simple...

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Well the N900 can video chat with Skype and Google Talk... I think it would be great if they made a FaceTime plugin, is it even possible?
It would be possible if
  • Apple made the protocol used by FaceTime open
  • Someone would care to write software on the N900 that connects to this protocol

However, point 1 is already higly unlikely - Apple is not famous for making anything open.

Also, why is FaceTime better than Skype for video calls?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
However, point 1 is already higly unlikely - Apple is not famous for making anything open.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._open_standard

Quote:

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs bit off a lot when he vowed to make FaceTime video calling an open industry software standard and said that Apple will ship tens of millions of FaceTime-connected devices in 2010."

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._open_standard

Quote:

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs bit off a lot when he vowed to make FaceTime video calling an open industry software standard and said that Apple will ship tens of millions of FaceTime-connected devices in 2010."
Very good!
Do you also have a link to the specification of this open standard?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
**** apple, we dont need THEIR 'open industry standard', there are already several options out there, we dont need another one.

right now i can do video call over sip(open), xmpp(open), or skype(closed).

apple is complaining about flash and then they foist the facetime protocol on us. whatever. cheers to an early death to the proprietary facetime.

there will be apps for iphone soon enough for video calling hopefully(if apple allows it) using one of the already established routes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
So far the quality of video from the front facing camera on the N900 makes this possibility less than exciting. Is this a video driver issue, or does this camera just suck?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
why do we want/need face time? the world has had video facility for a long time. i have no desire to have this face time glued to this linux monster.

how about asking if skype can be bought onto the iphone4? which i think, based on announcments from skype, might be possible as they offered to work with apple.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
So far the quality of video from the front facing camera on the N900 makes this possibility less than exciting. Is this a video driver issue, or does this camera just suck?
camer just sucks. built to broadcast images over 3g and radio signals.