Notices

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Suddenly my N900, PR1.2, doesn't read any more own video files (recorded with its own camcorder) - outputs the unsupported format notification. After rebooting, happens that the first video plays for half a second then freezes, then no video can be played because every file is told to be unsupported.
And the camcorder doesn't work any more, too. When started, it crashes immediately.
Dmesg shows several "dspbridge: timed out waiting for mailbox".

Is there anything I can do to debug, before I get home and eventually try to reflash?

Thanks for help.

EDIT: rebooting - even several times - didn't help.
After installing the extra codecs package - which I had never installed before by the way, the normal functionality seems restored.
So, I am suspecting a corruption of system files.
I'll reflash anyway

EDIT2: after reflashing, and before reinstalling anything, videos are played ok and also the camcorder works. It was patently a case of system files corruption.
Now I hope that after restoring my backup it still works allright.

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-07-09 at 12:15.

Don't know how to fix this,but my n900 will randomly decide that it doesn't want to play a video or, more often wont play an internet radio station. It is something to do with the media player. It hangs or gets stuck in a loop or something. There is definitely something wrong with it somewhere.
It can happen 3 times in a day then other times it will go for a week before happening, while .laying all sorts of files.A reboot fixes it but I don't wanna reboot all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
I had the same exact problem (couldn't play any video, even camera wasn't working). I uninstalled a few apps and problem is resolved. One of them (suspect #1) was headset control.

Last edited by Afew; 2010-08-17 at 21:56.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Hi, what kernel are you al using? The stock kernel or titans overclock kernel with 'optimized' settings for voltage and cpu frequency?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
so... what's the resolution?

Problem's back, tried to uninstall more apps, video playing and recording exits with error after few seconds...

Not even extra codecs package seems to work.

As for kernel, i use titan's.

Any ideas? I don't want to reflash.

EDIT: OK, I deinstall titan's and everything's working again. I hope it last.

Last edited by Afew; 2010-08-19 at 14:28.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
if you use titans, please check syslog or dmesg. You probably get "dspbridge: timed out" messages.
If you have these messages you may be able to resolve with the /usr/libexec/dsp-recovery command

I had the same problems even going from normal camera to night mode settings
and alsa was able to capture only 1 second of video.

I think the problem is in the higher cu speeds in combination with lower voltages.
Try running with a defautl kernel config for a while.
It worked for me and I'm experimenting with slowly increasing cpu speed and lowering voltages.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
I was having pretty much the same problems as debernardis - with Titan's kernel installed and overclocked to 850/900 Mhz. The camera app would crash while recording video, and Media Player would give errors as well.

Managed to fix it by using higher voltages for each frequency. I'm now running at 900Mhz with no problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to joert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
if you use titans, please check syslog or dmesg. You probably get "dspbridge: timed out" messages.
If you have these messages you may be able to resolve with the /usr/libexec/dsp-recovery command

I had the same problems even going from normal camera to night mode settings
and alsa was able to capture only 1 second of video.

I think the problem is in the higher cu speeds in combination with lower voltages.
Try running with a defautl kernel config for a while.
It worked for me and I'm experimenting with slowly increasing cpu speed and lowering voltages.
I can't get it working even with default voltages