Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Is there an easy way for a Maemo 4, N810 n00b to remove the big Internet and Contacts buttons from the Task Navigator. I would like to have more space for the icons of the apps which are currently running.

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-10-23 at 21:16. Reason: specify OS and device

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Is there an easy way for a n00b to remove the big Internet and Contacts buttons from the Task Navigator. I would like to have more space for the icons of the apps which are currently running.
(To potential Maemo 5 users, this is a Maemo 4 question). No, there's no easy way. You can replace them with other applets (e.g. Tear's equivalent of bookmarks or Personal Menu) but you can't remove them or have more space for the task switcher.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gideonvalor View Post
I don't know if I am blind but I can't find where to update add my avatar. Can anyone help?
If you mean in Maemo.org. Top Right hand side -Control Panel

Mike C

I am a very un-tech saavy newbie. I want to get the N900 but need to be able to read and edit word documents. Can I buy this application?

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I guess this would be the commercial Documents To Go software that exists for a bunch of mobile phones already. Viewing documents is free, editing documents requires you to pay for the software (the Android version is about 20 €, if I recall correctly, so the Maemo version should be priced similarly).
As far as I understand there is no editable version yet.

Originally Posted by BaKSo View Post
what is (until the current date) the confirmed use of the front camera? can it take a photos at all?
You can use it to do video calls with other Nxx0 units. Whether it works with other hardware remains to be seen.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=119

OK, so I've been around here for a couple of days, participating . I enjoy the Talk section a lot. And the two newbie threads are great.

However, there are a couple of things with the maemo.org site as such which are perplexing to me:

1. I made a mistake and registered with a capital G. For this I'm punished with a login error every time I log in, despite actually being able to log in. My profile name is not changeable. What is it about capital letters this site finds so terrible?
2. I find after a couple of tries that I need to register separately for other tabs, such as Community.
3. When I register for those tabs I'm hurled away to some maemo.garage place where I complete my registration.
4. Suddenly, my control over what is and what isn't published of my profile is lost, and what is published does not correspond to what I have agreed to shall be published. When I try to make changes they are not effectuated.
5. I have to write a mail to the admins, generating unnecessary work on both sides.
6. I need to link back from the other tabs to the talk tab to access with the same profile. How to do this is obscure to me. And why it is needed is also unclear.
7. Instructions that I need to register multiple times need to be incessantly repeated for a blockhead like myself to understand. I have not consciously seen this information.
8. Instructions that I can only register with lower case letters need to be incessantly repeated for a blockhead like myself to understand. I had seen this info when registering, it just didn't register. Better still, it should not be possible to register with a capital letter if the system cannot handle it.

If the N900 is the success it seems it will be at the moment, there will be a flood of new ignorant users joining this space, and admins will be overworked. In my opinion this place is in need of a site map and a how to page upon entrance to facilitate for a newbie.

Thanks for the soapbox.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-12 at 15:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
OK, so I've been around here for a couple of days, participating . I enjoy the Talk section a lot. And the two newbie threads are great.

However, there are a couple of things with the maemo.org site as such which are perplexing to me:
[...]
While I can't comment on the issues with user name and capital letters (anyone more informed than me that could comment on this?), I can comment on the multiple login. It is a remnant from before, when the forum section was separate from the rest of maemo.org. The inclusion of internettabletalk, as it was known before, is relatively new and the issue of multiple logins and the related quirks such as linking accounts and so on is being worked on. There will be only one login account.

I am not sure if the published/not published problem was related to confusion regarding the accounts? Not sure about the issue with changes not being affected either (again, someone else please step in) but might it be related to the non-talk part of maemo.org being quite slow, again something being worked on and slated to be fixed in december

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Thanks for the soapbox.
Thanks for taking the time on the box to provide your feedback!

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Question???

Im from Australia and from what I can figure the N900 isnt being released here... Trying to figure out the best way of getting one over here and whether or not the phone will work on Australian networks??? If anyone could help it would be really appreciated. Also, if I am to source my own from overseas it would be great if someone could let me know roughly what they are worth, ie: what you have paid for it???

Originally Posted by BiDDo View Post
Question???

Im from Australia and from what I can figure the N900 isnt being released here... Trying to figure out the best way of getting one over here and whether or not the phone will work on Australian networks??? If anyone could help it would be really appreciated. Also, if I am to source my own from overseas it would be great if someone could let me know roughly what they are worth, ie: what you have paid for it???
i can help you get that from USA to there with you bearing all cost, when available easily. PM me we can discuss this.

Closed Thread

Tags
help i'm stuck, help wanted