Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Is it absolutely certain it's not an OMAP3440 ? It would make a lot more sense.
I have downloaded the service manual for the N900 and inside is a OMAP 3430 processor.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by telnet View Post
Sorry guys, I came from Win Moibile devices and the guys over at XDA pretty much liked pushing the boundries of devices they had.

The vast majority of custom firmwares are better than the manufaturers by a mile and they have overclocked devices successfully.

IF you read my original post i was asking for comments, not possible would have sufficed.

Strange that other devices have successfully been tweeked and clocked to improve performance and that this device apparantly cant run over 600MHZ or it will fry. Granted i probably posted in the wrong section but guys, seriously..... You guys are acting like we are in the 1800's and im suggesting bulding a machine called a helicopter that can hover. Yep, impossible... go away nutter
Some people here treat their N900 as their baby, understanding this makes you more tolerant to their reactions. As a scientist I would support an overclocking app and especially the gain of knowledge, which comes with programming it!

In general I do not like all kind of people here who rigorously try to put boundaries on ideas because of their point of morality / satisfaction (e.g. 'it is fast enough', 'it is better not to') as long as the people who intend to break this limits are aware of the risk and outcome. The thread starter seems to be more than aware.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to osfight.de For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
The link claims OMAP3430 @ 600MHz as well? If devices come clocked by the manufacturer above 600MHz, that would be interesting to me.

I'm not claiming that you can't overclock the omap3430, just that it's not supposed to be clocked above 600MHz.

Frank
The 3430-equipped (aka 600MHz default clock speed for the main CPU, the Cortex A8) Omnia HD has successfully been overclocked to 804MHz.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
I have downloaded the service manual for the N900 and inside is a OMAP 3430 processor.
My question was about the Omnia's processor.

@C0rt3x: Okay, we've seen the screenshot the first time around, but how is it relevant ? Listing the CPU as an ARM9 does not help it's credibility either.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

@C0rt3x: Okay, we've seen the screenshot the first time around, but how is it relevant ? Listing the CPU as an ARM9 does not help it's credibility either.
The program is old, and does not recognize the ARMv7 architecture. Besides, it's the S60v5 UI, which is the same as the Omnia HD's.

Yes, Omnia HD has the 3430.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
CPU itself has really only some effect on the total use-time. Display eats most of the power, cellmo is eating a lot with network traffic. Having higher speeds usually allows cpu to go back to idle sooner, so, indeed, it might even prolong the battery life if you overclock the CPU. Having said that, I don't especially suggest anybody to do it. I can only say that I have seen it running at 650, so within the suggested 10%.
Igor was very clear at the Summit about not pegging the CPU at 550MHz+ if you don't want to fry it.

Race-to-idle will only be effective in increasing battery life if the only CPU usage they're getting is in short bursts. Any prolonged low-level usage will quickly eat up battery at 600MHz (music playback where things would happily run at 250MHz is a good example).

Either way, I'd say not making yourself a $600 brick is top priority here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I don't know enough about the gritty details, but on the Summit, at the OMAP3 power presentation Igor Stoppa (and he's no n00b when it comes to Maemo HW ) very explicitly said - please don't overclock it - it WILL fry.
IIRC he said that even locking the clock to some of the higher valid frequencies (550 or 600Mhz) can fry the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
Originally Posted by lma View Post
IIRC he said that even locking the clock to some of the higher valid frequencies (550 or 600Mhz) can fry the device.
Which is very freaky actually, because if a program that you've launched has an issue and takes 100% cpu, and you didn't noticed it, you can fry your phone, which is clearly not acceptable

If the processor runs @ 600MHz max, the device must accept that the processor could run @ 600MHz all the time without frying, otherwise it should have been underclocked by Nokia. Imagine you buy an i7 @ 3Ghz, and Intel says : be sure to not peg the cpu at 100% more than a few seconds, else it can fry...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ravioli156 View Post
If the processor runs @ 600MHz max, the device must accept that the processor could run @ 600MHz all the time without frying, otherwise it should have been underclocked by Nokia. Imagine you buy an i7 @ 3Ghz, and Intel says : be sure to not peg the cpu at 100% more than a few seconds, else it can fry...
And why do you think all those Intel (and AMD) processors have built-in thermal throttling, especially on mobile versions ? . Also, we have thermal monitoring and CPU governors so, if done right, you should not be able to fry your device in real life, UNLESS you ignore all the failsafes and use it in a way not meant by the manufacturer (and that's what overclocks and manually pegged full speed are). That's what I understood the warning was supposed to mean.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom