Notices

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
I cannot think that there is any valid reason that a program such as this would need to connect to the internet
That's because it doesn't do that. Please at least try to get the facts straight before offering advice to others.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
To fattomm ..

I would not run a downloaded .exe just like that if it did not come from Nokia. And I always have Symantec Antivirus running on my laptop, even if I were that stupid !

Okay .. so I did not think it was connecting anywhere either, because if it was at all, it should have been able to ( just like Yahoo messenger is able to ) - so now that that is out of the way ..what more do I need to do on XP ? I did a netstat with the converter running and nothing is listening on port 1234 . So looks like when the exe comes up, it is not able to open a listening port . What could be the reasons for that ? What could I check? As I already mentioned, the Windows firewall has already been given an 'exception' for the application, and I do have admin rights on my laptop

Is there anyway you could try turning windows firewall off completely and try to start up the app and see if that makes a difference?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Is there anyway you could try turning windows firewall off completely and try to start up the app and see if that makes a difference?
You know ..I am finding out that I am unable to turn it off ..so I probably do not have admin rights after all

I guess this is not for me then ...

Well.. I think I have gotten around the port problem. I changed the listening port to '5234' - from 1234 , and now when I bring up the Converter application, netstat shows me something listening on that port, and the popup about mediahandler not connecting is gone.

But now if I drop a WMV file on the app, it does not do anything at all. No error message or anything. I have tried to switch it to manual mode - still nothing

I still suspect that something is not right on your system. Can you actually see a mediahandler.exe process running? Also, I am not a 100% sure that changing the port number in the config will fix anything as there may be hardcoded port numbers in the code.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
I have the same problem after last Vista updates and new version of firefox instalation. There may have a connection?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by dzahariev View Post
I have the same problem after last Vista updates and new version of firefox instalation. There may have a connection?
Same here.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ hertfordshire
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Hi guys,

My name is Victor Brilon. I am the Product Manager in Nokia that's responsible for the Video Converter app (among other things). I've been lurking here a while so I figured I should post and address some of the issues raised in this topic

The easy one first -- from Post #21 -- the reason you're seeing the error about the PythonPlugins instance is that the Windows .NET framework is not installed. You can check whether it is or it isn't by looking in the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. The Video Converter app should install .NET for you if it's not there already. Did you by any chance stop that part of the installer or something? In either case, if you can reproduce this bug with a clean install, please let me know (via PM or in this thread) and we'll look into it ASAP.

Ok on to some less easier to answer topics...

The most common comment I am seeing is "Why Windows only?". Let me preface this by saying we don't hate non-Windows users I am a full-time OS X and Linux guy as are many members of our team. This application is targeted at less sophisticated/experienced Tablet users. These are people who probably don't even know that ITT or garage.maemo.org exist (and frankly don't care). The reality is that the majority of these users are on Windows, and we have to cater to them on their platform.

Having said that, we definitely want to target other platforms. I am currently working on a project plan to release a version for Windows Vista as well as OS X. I don't want to commit to a time for these, but I really want to get them out as soon as it's feasible, given R&D/time/resource constraints that are inevitable in any project.

Several people have asked for a Linux version as well. Honestly we have not planned for a Linux version as most of these users are happy using the Open Source alternative that are out there (like Urho Konttori's excellent app). If we were to do a Linux version, what target do we have there? I.E., what distribution (RedHat and its famiy, Debian and its family, some other), what window system (KDE, Gnome, something else) do we shoot for? Please let me know your thoughts on this as well as what you'd like to see in this product feature-wise. I absolutely cannot commit to a Linux version now (not only because of the above issues, but there's quite a bit of technical issues to work out with codecs and such), but I am interested in your opinions on the matter.

Any other suggestions/ideas/flames/compliments you have, please post them here or PM me. I'm also working on setting up a maemo Bugzilla entry for this application so you are able to file any bugs you discover.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and feedback. You have no idea how gratifying it is for me to see people in the real world using products that we spent so much time designing and working on And stay tuned as we have some surprises planned for future releases of this software.
Hi I have just downloaded the Internet Tablet Video Converter 0.32, when I try to use it i get the error ' The video is in a format that is unsupported by this application and cannot be converted.' all my video's are in AVI is there something i need to do in the settings to get them to be converted

Thanks